Author Topic: First cut for newly laid turf question?  (Read 32257 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
First cut for newly laid turf question?
« on: August 29, 2007, 16:14:44 »
My postie asked me this this morning.....he laid new turf approx 7-10 days ago, has kept it watered and it's thriving. He now wants to know, please, when he can give it its first haircut?

Any answers before he delivers my mail again tomozz about 8.30am much appreciated ;D

Thanks, Lishka

Hyacinth

• Hectare
Re: First cut for newly laid turf question?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 20:39:23 »
bumping it, cos my postie's my Best Friend and performs Acts of Kindness outside his normal postie duties ::) :P

yeah, yeah, you foul-minded lot :o.....oh heck! if I say he waters my plant pots in my front garden when I'm away, spect you'll think.... :-[

Just tell me.....can he cut his new grass (high cut perhaps?) now?

;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 20:53:02 »
I asked Jeeves and here's wot I got:

It is recommended that you do not mow your new turf until it has rooted. This can be easily checked by lifting up a corner of turf to see if the roots have attached to the soil. Your lawn mower should be set to the highest setting, it is important that the lawn is not scalped during early mowings. Mow your new lawn often, each time removing no more than one third of the grass height. Once established the grass height can be reduced gradually to your ideal level. Optimum heights are between 15mm and 35mm.

We have a nice postie too ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 21:03:15 »
After I laid mine, its first cut was with shears but mine wasn't a big area, after that I put it on the highest cut and dropped it every other cut.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 22:03:29 »
This is what you do. Take some grass between finger and thumb and try to lift the turf. Do this in a number of places. If the grass breaks, the turf could be cut but if the turf lifts it's a no no.

If the area is small, shears or an electric rotary is best but before using a petrol mower the above tests must be 100%. The suction from a petrol mower will lift the turf and shread it if it has not fully rooted.

Personally, 7-10 days is not enough.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 22:30:00 »
I agree with Eristic.  I would be looking at around 3 weeks before giving it a very light cut.  It is a bugger at this time of year as it grows so fast.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 05:22:01 »
Excellent info peeps. 8) Many thanks!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 07:38:02 »
Try avoid cutting your (Old/New) lawn between the hours of 09.00 am and 06.00 pm. That way your lawn will stay greener for longer and need much less watering when and if we have a spell of hot weather.

Lauren  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal