Author Topic: Gooseberry bush  (Read 767 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Gooseberry bush
« on: August 22, 2007, 20:59:09 »
I planted Invicta in March in a container but it is does not look too healthy any ideas.

http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict1057ns3.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 21:05:17 by davholla »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Gooseberry bush
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 23:57:32 »
Looks a gonner to me.

In looking for clues I see some moss on the top of the compost suggesting a possibility of 'water' problems, either poor drainage or too much water or both.

If it were mine I would lift it out of the compost and see what the root system is like and re-pot it in new compost in a smaller pot if there are signs of life.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:33:54 »
Must agree with Teegee on all counts, that looks like an ex-gooseberry bush. You will have more success if you get another and plant it around October/November when it's dormant.
It looks like that pot isn't filled with soil, it may be a good idea with your next one to fill the pot to within an inch or two of the rim, and make sure that you don't use a soil that holds the water too much, they don't like being waterlogged at all, so if you've got heavy soil, mix in some grit and make sure the drainage is good. Better still, plant direct into the ground.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 18:10:51 »
Thanks for that.  I will bear that in mind next time.  How can I tell if the root system is good ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal