Author Topic: Picardy, here I come!  (Read 1514 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Picardy, here I come!
« on: August 27, 2007, 16:34:02 »
Hello,

I'm off to St Valery Sur Somme on Friday. Has anyone been there? Any advice on good places to visit? Where will be the best place to buy French seeds? Thanks

Soooo exciting! ;D

I just hope my one and only melon doesnt ripen while I am away ::)

cj :)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: Picardy, here I come!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 17:34:51 »
 Hi Caroline,
                   we are going to be right behind you, ;D we go  Saturday 8th September, for 1 week. We stayed there last year for 1 night on our way back from the Loire Valley, thought it was such a nice spot that decided to go there for a whole week. The promenade going out of town westwards makes for a good walk, you can then turn back into the old town above the harbour. this is full of interesting buildings & provides lots of options to meander. The following website has lots of info, if like us you are in to walking, click on the activities button ( on the right) & you can download loads of walks quite
nearby.http://www.somme-tourisme.com/uk/decouvrir/avisiter/presentationvisiter.asp
 Don`t know where to buy seeds but usually in France the ironmongers sell a good range much cheaper & much larger packets than here.
 Have a great time & leave us some good weather. 8)

Adrian.
          PS, I`m coming round for the melon.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 18:04:21 »
Adrian, thanks for the website link. It looks like a good one. I will settle down this evening and have a closer look. We love to walk, and are also taking our bikes this year.

I will make sure that the weather is sorted for the week beginning 8th september. I'm sure there will be a department somewhere that deals with that sort of thing ;D

You are welcome to join me for the melon, just dont bring a friend, as its only a little one ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 18:10:25 »
Puncture kits & a spanner?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 18:19:27 »
Got those, Tim, but I need to buy a new pump. I had forgotten about that, so thanks for the prompt :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:57:51 »
have a great holiday Caroline.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:20:12 »
Thanks Lorna,

Gypsy is off to Phil's Mum's for her holiday, so she will be spoilt rotten while we are away ::)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 18:01:23 »
Caroline have a great holiday,hope the weather is good to you ,Safe journey.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 18:50:33 »
Thanks Rosebud :D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 21:35:59 »
Well, I'm off in the morning, but.......OH noticed tax will be up before we return, so he has to go to post office first >:(

I havent even started packing :o Its been one of those silly days, where you do a lot, but not a lot gets done. So I'd better go and make a start now.

Talk again when I get back. Have fun!!

cj 8)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 08:08:40 »
Might be a bit late, but used to go to that part of France when I was growing up. My grandmother came from Picardy...

St Valery is beautiful, Abbeville is close by, which is quite a big town and has a old town area, including a big old church/cathedral.

There are lots of pretty little villages in the surrounding areas and from memory everyone was very friendly, and more than a little nosey!

Hope you have a lovely time....
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 18:00:19 »
Too late for this time... as you've already gone but the great war cemetries are very moving..

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 09:20:01 »
Hello everyone....I'm back!

Well, Picardy was a great area to be. It was very windy and cold for a lot of the time, but that didnt stop us getting out and about. We took our cycles, and went for miles along cycle tracks. Had a bit of trouble sitting down in the evenings though :-X I hope this is something that wears off the more you cycle ::)

Had a lovely warm day on wednesday , the day before we came home. I actually caught a bit of sun (no I am not giving it away, its mine!!!!!) food was great, I put on a few pounds :-[

When I got back, there were loads of beans to pick, and some courgettes just about to be too big, but I caught them just in time. I think I will have a go at courgette jam. Dont know what I am doing, but will make it up as I go along ::)

My melon STILL isnt ripe :( The good news is that I have found another one at the back of another plant.

I hoped to find cheap preserve jars, but thought they were really expensive (well, compared to the old jam jars I use after they are empty ::)) No cheap jelly bags. I got myself a metal collander thingy with a handle to turn to push food through the holes. A puree machine ??? I am going to have a bash at it with some tomatoes later.

One major decision I made on holls........off to Italy next September, as I want to be hot! Only 51 weeks to go.........

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 17:20:47 »
Nice is Nice....
 ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 20:46:58 »
Never been to Nice, or anywhere on the Med. Is it still nice there in September?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 23:35:05 »
I am off to St Raphael on Monday.  Thats near Nice I see from the map.  Driving there from the Borrders taking 4 days to get there by driving toward Lake Geneva ? then  Turin and down to St Raphael.  We are going to a WEdding there so meeting up with about 30 relatives.  The others are taking a plane!!  I hate flying.   Will hopefully get some good pics.

ps  not looking forward to it,  Ihate holidays. 

:-\ :-\ :-\

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 07:14:51 »
Shame you hate holls Carol, as that sounds like great fun. I always drive rather than fly. I find the french motorways much more interesting than the british ones, especially the M4! The run from Wales to Dover must be the most boring in the world, unless you are into tarmac and green verges ::)

Lookin good on the weather front for you too ;D

If you really cant stand the thought of going, I will make the sacrifice and go for you. All heart, me ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal