Author Topic: How long did you have to wait  (Read 8223 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
How long did you have to wait
« on: August 22, 2007, 16:57:35 »
I got my first lottie the minute I asked.  4 years ago nobody wanted the plots. I was in the lottie shop just at the time a plot was handed back. It was handed straight on to me. Right time right place I guess.

As Elle Ess has just posted - she had to wait 10 years for a plot! How long did you have to wait. It must be a record....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: How long did you have to wait
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 17:03:55 »
A couple of weeks and that was only because of admin.  However, in the opposite direction we tried and they reakoned 3 years on average.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 17:30:11 »
about 18 months

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 17:47:36 »
I put my name down 5 1/2 years ago, got to the top of the list in two years - wasn't ready to take it on so asked to be put back to the bottom, got back to the top 2 years later in Spring 2006 at which time the waiting list was nine people.

By last Autumn the waiting list was over 30, heaven knows how many it is now, especially since we have no geographical restrictions on applicants.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 18:28:17 »
Same as EJ just waited for admin, but I was let on the plot straight away because my Dads neighbour had a spare key.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 18:48:09 »
 :) didn't have to wait at all 7/8 years ago, chose which ever plot I wanted, picked the one with an orchard on it,

was called a freak then, now I'm trendy ::) for the first time in my life ;D/ shades x

btw , there is now a waiting list.
grow your own way

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 19:11:36 »
6 years ago, a phone call and we were weeding the next day, choice of several plots and several locations.

3 years later, when we wanted a second one there was a waiting list, we joined at 7, it took just that season to get the plot next to the first one. We bought the old gent out when he fell very ill and tended his plantings for him,we waited on the list till we were first then he handed in his notice and it was turned over to us.

Now we have  big waiting list.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 19:19:10 »
3 months ,but that was 7 years ago.Different story now.I think it will get worse  as most new houses
do not seem to have gardens and that's just wrong.

TheGrowingFamily

• Quarter Acre
  • Warrington, Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 19:24:13 »
About 18 months. :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 19:58:50 »
I put us on the list before we moved last year, about June ish, and was offered a plot in about the September (just after we'd moved).  We decided not to take it so they kept us at the top of the list until another became free - which it did a few weeks later - yippee!  Unfortunatly we then had to wait until Jan 1st to do any work on the plot, so all in all about 6 months wait I guess.

Worth it though!  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 20:17:31 »
In September 2000, when we got one, we couldn't even find who to apply to! We phoned the number at the gate and it was years out of date; eventually we waved to someone down the path who let us in and obviously thought we were mad! Next day, the Plot Secretary came and gave us a choice of 4 or 5 plots. We started that afternoon.

Now, I'm Plot Secretary and I've got a waiting list. Not a long one (now) as I'm trying to get plot-holders who think they've fulfilled their annual duty by writing a cheque to actually get off their back-sides and do something, or let someone else have a go!

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 21:18:23 »
I waited about 10 months for my plot, I noticed that there are several plots that are in disuse  and when I checked about 3 months ago I was 17 on the list so not sure how it works but I do have half an eye on the half plot next to mine....
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:48:41 »
Didn't have to wait for mine at all - visited on the Saturday, picked the keys up Tuesday. That was two years ago when my site had quite a few vacancies - now we have a small waiting list, so I'm glad I got the bug then and not now!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 13:23:02 »
For the firstt plot I put my name down before we moved and waited patiently for a couple of years, only to find system had changed and my name had got left off. Ran into secretary in the street and begged to be replaced not too low down the waiting list as I had already waited, and he gave me one almost immediately. Long waiting list now, but there are still neglected plots around me.

The second one I only had to email a different secretary and he immediately made an appointment to measure one out in a corner I chose. It's an unpopular site,  unprotected by fences, gates, open rough meadowland with mature trees and hedges all around and a roving population of boys and dogs, but I love it. There are only 3 or 4 of us working regularly there plus a few overwhelmed plots, and the rest is open grassland.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 13:31:27 »
I'm treasurer TrevorD.. they all pay but some won't garden and now we have 20+ on the waiting list...
Things will have to change!
 >:(

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 14:28:57 »
i put our name down about 15 months ago,was told there was a huge waiting list so not to get my hopes up,i begged for our name to get put on the waiting list anyway,and hey presto 14 months later we got our beloved plot.i believe the waiting list is now 4/5 years at the min,could that just be the time of year?seems a shame as there are at least 4 plots at our site that havnt been touched for years .......
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 14:59:54 »
we moved into the village 6 years ago (35th house occupied there now on over 1,000) the allotments were planned for a future date and i pushed and pushed. It took 4 years all in 2 years of that was waiting for the spoil heap the allotments are on to settle before they could do anything.

cambourne7

HappyMouffetard

• Not So New ...
    • The Inelegant Gardener
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 12:21:43 »
No waiting list when we got our half plot last October or when we got a further plot in April. Ours is the only site in Chester without a waiting list, apparently. There's still lots of vacant plots (still, great for blackberry picking as most of them are bramble covered).

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 13:23:18 »
I'm treasurer TrevorD.. they all pay but some won't garden and now we have 20+ on the waiting list...
Things will have to change!
 >:(

Some of us are pushing for a ruling that members who have totally uncultivated plots are not invited to renew when annual rental is due!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 13:24:52 »
I waited about 4 months from my original request, and somehow ended up as secretary at my first meeting!!  :o

I'm off to start a new thread now about rules as so many people want them to change!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal