Author Topic: Dealing with plot holders who do little or no cultivation  (Read 14032 times)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Dealing with plot holders who do little or no cultivation
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2007, 09:05:35 »
Deb P,

If it is anything like ours .. 1/3rd will accept your findings and set to work .. 1/3rd will complain vociferously but eventually do some work .. and 1/3rd will dig their heels in, spreading rumours such as he/she has it on good authority that you plan to kill the first born of all plot holders as part of their campaign against you. One guy has told our council that raised beds should be banned as part of his personal crusade.

I don't know what sort of site you come from, but killing the first born of all plotholders is not allowed on self-managed sites. I can't find the relevant section in the Allotments Act but let me assure you it's in there somewhere.

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2007, 10:03:08 »
Both plots on either side of us have been neglected. The one is also a newbie who got the plot a couple of days after us. But the guy on the other side seemed to be there all the time when we started, but we haven't seen him since April!
The newbies built a raised bed, planted salad, which all went to seed. They mattocked back some of the weeds and planted sweetcorn and a couple of marrow/pumpkin looking plants (they didn't even dig it over!) and that was that, the weeds were back up within a week and have continued to grow.
The guy on the other side planted parsnips, cabbage, beans, potatoes, brocoli etc. The potatoes were one of the first to get blight, and came and went (I thought at the time that it was sad, as he wouldn't know). Now his cabbages have been eaten by caterpillars, the beans are about a foot long, and his brocoli are looking lovely and ready to pick!
I am so tempted to complain about them both, but feel I have only been there 5 months, so don't have the right to complain, I am kind of hoping that the old guys on the other side of them will complain.
Last night when I went to my plot it was covered in white fluff from weeds that have blown from the 2 plots, I was very disappointed! I spend so much time weeding, hoping one day that I might get on top of it all (I know that I will never be weed free, but I am told that it does get easier after about 3 years!)

Argh, that must be so disheartening Sue! If they could both be persuaded to leave one of those plots would be mine! ;)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Bogbeast

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2007, 10:24:52 »
Hi all
I too got an allotment last Feb. It had not been dug for the last 70 years, or so I was told by the local guy's. It is a smallish plot 70 feet long by 60 feet wide. It had only been used to keep hens and the like on it, as it was supposed to too wet to be used as a productive plot. It was over grown to say the least, (I took photo's when I got it and kept taking one every month or so) the reason being that I could look back to the beginning to maybe give me a bit of a boost when things were tough. Every spade dug had to be sieved to remove bits of plastic bags etc, Anyway I now have two thirds done and will, with a bit of luck finish it next year. However the guy's on both sides of me, do very little on their respective plots, hence I end up with their weed seeds etc blowing on to my plot which is a pain in the rear. I am in the same boat as you two with regard to complaining so my only hope is that just maybe one of the old allotment holders might take pity and complain on my behalf. I do have one benefit though, and that is I get as much farmyard manure as I need delivered free of charge, from the farmer that lives a quarter of a mile up the road. Anyway, best of luck with your plot and keep hoping some one will complain.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2007, 16:38:24 »
welcome, bogbeast..nice to meet you, sounds like you've got a plan and are doing a great job..look forward to seeing some pics  ;D

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2007, 11:14:25 »
Re AGM - spill the beans Saddad - was there a punch up?  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2007, 13:43:14 »
Well as far as the proposal to monitor plots twice a year, letters to those failing to meet the standard of 2/3rds cultivated, tenancy terminated for those failing to respond to that (excluding those with mitigating circumstances such as illness etc.) went, it was accepted without a murmur!!!   :o

I had braced myself for an onslaught and had my arguments all prepared, but it never happened! We had a good turn out too, more than twice the members that attended last year. I'll leave Saddad to tell you about the treasurers report though..... ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 16:05:25 »
I have just sent warning letter and intend to organise a bond for new tenants- £50.00 forfeit if not cultivated within a reasonable period. If taken back will use money to clear plot for reuse.If used but then leaves and in a reasonable state Parish will refund money. Probably must accept harsh face of reality that some people like the idea but not the responsibilty of an allotment. Our holders are also annoyed at state of some plots and support Parish with improvement plans for future. Good Luck and we now have  a contract.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 20:40:20 »
Well it's like WW3 every 3 months at our open meetings where non-committee members are invited to attend to air their grievances. 

At the last one, a few of the plotolders ganged up against the committee chairman but he wasn't there to defend himself which gave the agitator more guts to verbally attack him.  It was cowardly and pathetic.  >:(  You might ask what their grievance was;  he was enforcing some of the softer rules!!!  If we actually enforced all of the rules which are currently flouted I think there would be a rebellion!

I really do like the ideas of having a bond to be used if a plot holder doesn't maintain their plot and is terminated, and of monitoring plots to make sure they are worked on.  It's not fair that people on waiting lists can see plots that look vacant but can't take them and I will be proposing that both of these are incorporated into the site rules at the next AGM in February.
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 11:29:49 »
I finally got around to not so much complaining as making a point about my neighbour.

He took his plot just before me, around last Easter.  He weedkillered the whole thing but then only planted on about an 1/8th of it.  This lead to the couch grass being replaced by thick weed all over, which then had its seed blown all over my plot.  Somewhat annoying.

So I pointed out, to one of the committee, that I'd not seen the guy on the plot for ages, no work had been done, and that everytime I arrive I find his shed door wide open with all his tools on display.  I keep propping stuff against the door to keep it closed but I suggested that the committee might have a word with him because anyone walking past the site can see the tools and they'd soon get nicked (last time I saw him he was complaining about have £100's worth of stuff nicked).

Thus, I wasn't actually complaining, I was doing him a favour by getting them to warn him about the possibility of the tools going walkies.  Well, that's my story.... ;D

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2007, 13:03:33 »
hi i got my allotment in October after about a six month wait on the list and was a bit miffed that the only allotment left was a jungle and hadn't been used for 7 to 10 years and there where lots of others in that state!!! so why was i put on a list ??? as Ive been told by other plot holders that it had never been touched.
I cant understand the council letting plots get into such states as it puts off people taking on a plot !! and then when you ask for help off the council all they can offer is a rent free period wow  ::) ::) it cost me £100 to get rid of the asbestos and i had to have a skip to remove the brick rubble at £50  so the free rent is naff and there are still plots not being used and we still have a waiting list our council is useless ............. oh dear you've got me started now  i had better shut up  but i do understand your point hope you get it sorted
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2007, 22:30:27 »
Problem is, weedy, that it's hard for association bods or for the council to kick folks off their allotments when there's no work being done so by the time the person has been chucked off and another person offered the plot a lot of weeds will have taken hold!!

WHen I took mine on it had just been cleared of weeds, (but no landfill items I see >:( ) but they all grew back within a few months, so by the time a new person gets a plot it is overrun again!

Hopefully as secretary for our association I should have some sway in how these things are handled in future so new plot holders don't have too big a job ahead of them and can manage the plots they have been offered.
SnooziSuzi

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 00:26:15 »
I had a third plot for two years simply because I didn't know where potatoes had been planted before when I inherited my two plots so wanted to keep them away for a couple of seasons. I cleared the plot pretty well and used it for two years before giving it up last September. By December it had been taken but wasn't worked. The new tenant was evicted by early Summer and the plot was re-let covered in 3 ft tall weeds and grass. It takes no time at all for nature to take over, so in the space of a year it's gone from being clear to jungle, that's the problem.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 07:36:59 »
Yes but 3' grass is easier to get out of a recently cultivated plot... 119 I took on as my second plot hadn't been cultivated for at least 20 years from the tree rings of the self set Damson trees that covered half the plot, that wasn't under 6' of brambles and couch grass...
 :-X

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 20:54:13 »
Problem is, weedy, that it's hard for association bods or for the council to kick folks off their allotments when there's no work being done so by the time the person has been chucked off and another person offered the plot a lot of weeds will have taken hold!!

When I took mine on it had just been cleared of weeds, (but no landfill items I see >:( ) but they all grew back within a few months, so by the time a new person gets a plot it is overrun again!
We have a good working relationship with the local Judicial / probationary system of the courts. During the spring and summer - individuals who are on community service are tasked to clear overrun allotments on our patch. Clear it - not cultivate it. This is fair as it makes the plot less daunting to newcomers. If it was cultivated for them , they would think working an allotment was a walk in the park. So I believe this balance is right. They also tidy up the paths, cut down brambles. Legal forms are signed by committee representatives for each individual who has completed their daily hours. Yes there is the odd one who is a little work shy, but most enjoy it.

Just an idea for you to propose at you next meeting. Community service at its best. Also saves the council doing it. (Do your homework with the local council first)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 21:37:22 »
Thanks KT I'll look into this!
SnooziSuzi

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2007, 15:24:38 »
Just posted this thread today from a court hearing held 4 days ago.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,37592.msg373975/topicseen.html#new
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal