Author Topic: Where exactly is your allotment - Europe  (Read 2684 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Where exactly is your allotment - Europe
« on: August 21, 2007, 23:12:51 »
Well, we do have Ken, Ruud and Ina.  ;D  Anymore for anymore?

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
Re: Where exactly is your allotment - Europe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:51:53 »
Brought this one back to the top - I'm in France!  Anyone else here?

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:07:05 »
Spain-Las Alpujarras-Orgiva  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:21:08 »
Antipodes is in France somewhere....  :-\

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:05:19 »
No allotment but I have a decent sized veg plot and garden in rural central Belgium, 30 miles south of Brussels.   Fertile, alkaline, loamy soil on a clay subsoil, exposed to winds from all directions but mostly westerlies and can get very cold (-15C) in winter for weeks at a time with occasional -20C.   Summers get to 33C in heatwaves but otherwise are comfortably in the 20s.   Average rainfall quite high and occurs about 220 days a year but we're also a sun trap being on the crest between the Meuse and Scheldt basins so sometimes clouds just pass by to north and south.

Lousy summer this year after an usually mild winter so slugs everywhere and lousy toms.
Obxx - Vendée France

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 11:27:19 »
hello! An allotment site on the outskirts of Nantes, South East Brittany in France!
40 gardens, each 100 m2, and I am the youngest gardener!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 15:18:22 »
hello! An allotment site on the outskirts of Nantes, South East Brittany in France!
40 gardens, each 100 m2, and I am the youngest gardener!

I've been to Nantes - well, flew in there. First, stayed at a big mansion that doubles as a day nursery near a river, probably within an hour's drive of Nantes, then went on camping along the Sarthe river. We visited Sable-sur-Sarthe. Can't remember much though, it 23 years ago. Oh, forgot about a holiday resort/camp place with a big swimming pool and diving board. There was an instructor talking to me in French (which was beyond the brief Linguaphone tape/cards I had looked at prior to going) on how to dive. Now, I can't dive from the top board!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 16:43:42 »
My allotment, quite large, is on a hill near Zurich in Switzerland. I've had it now for 36 years and have spent thousands of happy hours making sure that there will be harvests. It's at a height of 1500 feet which makes for a relatively late start to the summer but as the heat picks up in July and August under a partly alpine sun everything comes along on time.

For me it's mainly vegetables and fruit, my wife looks after the flower beds.

On a clear morning I can see the whole chain of the Alps stretching from Austria in the east then down through Switzerland almost to France in the south west. It's one of about 120 on land supplied by the community, things are pretty strict as far as keeping order goes but that's no problem.

I can hardly wait for spring to come again!!

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 16:54:38 »
Busby - we simple MUST HAVE some pics of these views.  They sound wonderful.
Twinkletoes

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 09:54:38 »
I'm not a very dab hand at photographs over the Internet twinkletoes, in fact I have no idea. Nevertheless, come spring and with some help from my nearest and dearest I'll see what I can do.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal