Author Topic: Passionflower problem...  (Read 2373 times)

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
Passionflower problem...
« on: June 20, 2004, 22:13:23 »
My nextdoor neighbour has a rampant passionflower growing on his side of the fence and it has grown (quite extensivly) underneath my decking.It occasionally pops up a branch through the gaps which i spray with Roundup,but still it grows!
I havent a clue where exaclly it has come from and cannot block that particular side of fence because of the cotswold chipping i have on that side.Roundup kills a few inches of growth,but dont stop it.
I did all the ground work properly (laid weed supressing membrane and gravel) but it grows on TOP of the gravel etc.Any ideas as to what will kill more than a few inches???

ps.An American friend laughed when he saw it growing over the fence and asked why they had planted a weed.Apparently in America and other countries they are regarded as a pesky weed!
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:Passionflower problem...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 08:55:22 »
Bubble, I can only suggest that you pull back the gravel, hack growth back and then put some kind of barrier down into the soil..  You can buy sort of corrigated strips of plastic for lawn edging maybe some of that would stop it growing through.  Then put  down the weed suppressant fabric, put the gravel back and hope for the best. ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 10:38:32 »
Hello Bubble, maybe you should discuss this with your neighbour. He could opt for other plants that are less invasive.
Happy Gardening

Jak

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 13:53:11 »
Hi Bubble

I can't offer any practical advice, but you have my sympathy.  I innocently planted one of the darn things and it tried to take over my garden and next door's.  I don't know if it was self-seeding, layering or suckering, or a combination of all three! :o

I have dug it out, but have to keep a look out for new shoots, which I either dig up or zap with Roundup - you have to keep zapping them though!  Good Luck!
When the tide of life turns against you, and the current upsets your boat.  Don't waste time on what might have been, just lie on your back and float.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 18:41:51 »
Unfortunately,my neighbours love the plant because of its flowers (which admittingly look good),but they are moving very soon so might have a go at blocking the runs under the fence so not to offend them. :o

Strange though that it manages to grow under a gravel board and a good 8" of chippings.

Once they have moved,im gonna have a go at removing the conifers in the front garden that i absolutely despise... >:(

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 18:50:15 »
Ha ha bubble :D I feel a chainsaw moment coming on ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 19:43:12 »
Years ago when i was planning on moving into my own home,i intended on lopping all my mums conifers in half to make maintenance easier (i had agreed to look after her garden).

Problem was,i got carried away and cut them all down-all 12 of em',along with a huge laburnum,2 cherry blossom trees and another tree with orange berries.My dad used to love gardening and had a real soft spot for trees and planted loads.Unfortunately,the cherrys roots continually cracked the concrete fish pond (which i destroyed with a jack hammer),patio and drive.I didnt like cutting down mature trees,but they were huge!

Two days work with a chainsaw solved a lot of problems  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal