Author Topic: I've been offered a plot!  (Read 1164 times)

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
I've been offered a plot!
« on: August 14, 2007, 18:01:31 »
After 8 ish months I came home today to a letter from the council offering me plot 24A :D

I'm going to call the site rep in a bit and see about going down. Great timing as I am off work next week so if I can get the ball rolling I will be able to make a start (if I take it on).

It's a half plot which is just what I was after to start with, hopefully it won't be AS daunting :)

Just a quick Q, the plot offered is 13.25 metres, it doesn't say what the area is (I'm assuming that that's the length) anyone have a rough idea how wide it would be?

Soon to be fellow lottie owner
Esre :D
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

donlottie

• Half Acre
  • Stinging nettles as far as the eye can see!!!
Re: I've been offered a plot!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 18:12:32 »
Congrats on your plot!!! I have been waiting for about a year which is disgraceful as I know of plots that are not in use, I got mine last week and ploughed straight in to clearing it. I have for the last few days suffered with muscles I never knew existed!! Anyway my plot was so overgrown with nettles - they were taller then me!! Now I have a sorry looking plot of dead weeds and its raining. I am itching to get out there again because I know those pecky weeds are already start their fight back against me. good luck and what little advice I have is this - dont be scared be terrified (it gets the blood pumping) but enjoy because I know once I have tamed the beast, the pleasure of knowing I did it will take away the memories of the pain I know I am about to endure. Good luck and I am glad I am not the only one out there

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 18:21:11 »
Our Standard Plots are 30x10 (imperial yards) so that sounds like the length and the width would be about 9M (10yards)...
Enjoy..
 ;D

KateG

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 18:55:43 »
Congratulations on your new home  ;)

We got our allotment on Monday and are waiting for a man with a tractor to come along and chop the weeds down to ground height for us. Then the digging begins...

Our plot is 10 poles, next to a hedge (which will reduce our growing space but ideal as a place for my 2 young children to play).

I would love to hear of your progress and see any photos you take.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 19:14:14 »
Each site and some plots are different.

After all the initial hard graft, the aching muscles & joints etc from an overgrown plot - for what you are about to receive may the lord make you truly thankful. Amen ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 20:59:32 »
Good luck the three of you and happy digging.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 21:09:27 »
I had a look at the plot last night and it looks great :)

I was shown round by the site rep who is really nice, there's water about 2 plots away with a tap for fresh drinking water, there's a sports centre nearby so toilets (did worry me a bit with children!) are no problem.

It's a bit of a trek from the road for me as I don't drive but there is a car park for when I get OH to 'help out' with the heavy stuff. A guy delivers manure if you need it for £5 a load and a load was about 1 pallet high and 3 pallets in length which seemed a bargain to me!

I did take a few pics and will put them on my blog later but the lot is in pretty good shape. It was weed killered (is that a word?) 6 months ago and hasn't really been touched since so the weeds are only just really starting to come up again, there's a bit of bindweed but on first glance no couch!

Can't wait till Monday when I will take it on properly, just have to remember that the first year will be tough but it will get better :)

Plot 24A
My Blog

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 19:28:46 »
It's all mine!!!

I took it on yesterday and went down today with the kids to help (or is that hinder). I've measured it up and cut the paths so I can see what I'm doing. Still needs a lot of clearing but I'll be making 8 beds so it shouldn't be too scary.

Esre

Plot 24A
My Blog

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 19:40:48 »
congrats estr!!

Just in time to stock up on seeds in the sales as well.

Cant wait to see the pics.

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 23:20:39 »
I've worked out my blog and posted some pics on there. Should be a clicky in my sig (getting all hi-tch now!)

Plot 24A
My Blog

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 00:55:19 »
Just to add a big "Welcome Aboard" to all the others you have received, the aching muscles give you an excuse for a nice deep long bath. Enjoy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal