Author Topic: Brown patch of grass..  (Read 2233 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Brown patch of grass..
« on: June 15, 2004, 17:32:15 »
Hello all! I have spent two years turning a "blank" garden into my little haven. We dug up some concrete slabs and laid grass, but one small patch is turning brown following the hot weather we have had. I don't know why this is happening because the rest seems ok, but wondered if anyone can suggest how I can improve this area quickly?
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Brown patch of grass..
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 22:43:09 »
Do you have a cat/dog/fox that is peeing on that patch?  That would cause the grass to die, and I don't blame it!  ;D  Now a lawn expert will wander in and tell you what to do, won't you, someone, anyone....  ;D

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 09:03:13 »
Hello EJ - It's a rectangular patch so I have a feeling it isn't down to animals!! As you say - hopefully a grass expert will read my query!!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 10:01:31 »
If its a rectangular patch - about the same size as the paving you you took up - it might be worth carefully lifting the turf and looking underneath. There might be a slab buried below the surface which would account for the grass roots having difficulty finding water.

:-* Tricia

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 11:13:26 »
Just to concur with Tricia, we have this in our lawn and it's due to some concrete underneath in that spot. Just check gently, it might not be a paving slab could be something to do with buried drainage, power or the like.

Jeremy

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 12:58:17 »
 :D - Now that really does make sense - it won't be the concrete because we removed that - but it still could be cement. So the job of looking under the turf can wait until a cooler day! Thank you very much for all the advice.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 12:39:33 »
Do check for anything buried underneath that is restricting the grass' growth/ uptake of water as a possible cause.

Another thing could be leather jackets in the soil. These are grubs of the crane fly that live in the soil feeding on grass roots. They look like short (about 2cm/1 inch long) grey worms. a way to check is to water a patch in the evening and cover the area with polythene, next morning check undrneath. if leatherjackets are present they will have come to the surface due tho the moisture. Pick them up and dispose of (feed to birds perhaps). There is no chemical control I know of.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 13:14:29 »
And finally, you haven't left anything on it have you? I left a piece of clear plastic down for a day and when I lifted it the grass looked ok -but a couple of days later it has turned brown -my fault I should have picked it up when the kids had finished sliding on it  >:(

Jeremy

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 16:06:42 »
Euch! The leather jackets sound horrible. And I definately haven't left anything on that patch. I think the suggestion of cement underneath is the most likely so we will try to have a look this weekend. Thanks for all your replies!!!  :)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 18:11:13 »
Hiya Plocket looks like we're all making our way here, Wills is about somewhere and feet of clay, also Jak, I'm not sure how to use this yet but we'll get there. ;)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 23:10:17 »
Hi from me!

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 12:13:21 »
Hi FOC! How are you? So you are a Llama hey? I was for a while....!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal