Author Topic: leek seedlings  (Read 3231 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: leek seedlings
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 11:58:45 »
Noooo!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 14:34:06 »
I thought they had to be sown March- April (bear in mind I've only grown veg since spring'06)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 06:07:07 »
Apologies for my oversimplfied reply.

Mostly, I believe that you're correct - I must check with Moles (whose calendar it is) as to their sowing times.

But, for instance, Sarah Raven offers Hannibal for sowing now.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 09:22:24 »
it is always worth experimenting especially when the recommendation comes from someone who has already 'done it' - it is always down to when seeds are sown and now it is getting cooler I think it could be an idea to sow leeks now even though it is well outside of their usual sowing time (which usually finishes in May)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 09:32:45 »
Most plants seed naturally in Autumn... but if you want to grow larger specimens to eat in Winter, eg Leeks or grow tender plants you have to sow March-May which is why Gardeners assume you can't sow later...
 ::)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:47:26 by saddad »

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 09:34:10 »
But don't forget - It's impossible to kill leeks!
Even if they might not grow very big...

But if you grow them over two seasons pick them early enough because they will bolt in their second year.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 19:24:35 »
Most plants seed naturally in Autumn... but if you want to grow larger specimens to eat in Winter, eg Leeks or grow tender plants you have to sow March-May which is why Gardeners assume you can't sow later...
 ::)

that may be but autumn harvesting leeks probably wouldn't want to seed until really late, possibly the next spring ready for a new years growth, if they go to seed earlier then that's not so good - but I'm going to try sowing some soon and I'll let you know how they go

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 11:38:51 »
I grow my leeks in two three batches, one April, one late May, one June, a short row of five different varieties. That way I get a  staggered harvest, I can fill gaps where I've harvested or the plant has failed, and have some seedlings to put in spare areas such as where some of my blighted potatoes were harvested earlier than I anticipated.

This was the raised bed with leeks at different stages in late July...

I've planted out some of the 'Jaune Gros De Poitou' from Thomas Etty seeds (supposed to grow up to 5'!) only a couple of weeks ago......not planned that late but the ground wasn't free until then.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal