Author Topic: Update on new plot  (Read 1297 times)

donlottie

• Half Acre
  • Stinging nettles as far as the eye can see!!!
Update on new plot
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:30:11 »
Finally the rain stopped !!!!!
Went up to my plot to see whats been going on. Firstly the nettles dont look happy !!, Secondly now that I can see the ground, it is obvious that I have a rabbit problem - anyone got any ideas???
Laid blue tarpaulin over 12 mtrs. got a few more to buy as I also measured the plot - 50mts by 5 mts. Before I go to the expense of more tarps, does anyone know if these will hold back the weeks as they are blue - probably a daft question I know. Started also planning the layout of my beds of 1.2m each.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:32:34 by donlottie »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Update on new plot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:36:07 »
Rabbits I am not familiar with... we used to shoot them in the 70's but would probably cause uproar now!... Positive id? lots of things scrape holes..
Blue Tarp was discussed a couple of weeks ago... black better, but better than none.. can you weigh it down with shredde stuff? Keeps more light out andlooks better..
Look forward to seeing some pics!
 ;D

donlottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:43:54 »
Yep definately rabbits, holes were the first signs (ankle twisted didnt see it) but main sign is the droppings! Lots of it. Shouldn't moan though as it is free  ;D ;D ;D but once I am planting I dont want the little cuties to munch through my first growth

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 11:27:36 »
Re rabbits:
Are you allowed fencing at all round your plot?

If so, a lowish chicken wire fence might keep the little blighters off (presuming you don't trap them in when you erect it). Might have to consider digging a trench first so that the bottom of the fence is buried to try to stop them digging under it.

Or do you know anyone with ferrets?  (And then fence it.)

Afterthought.......If you're not allowed fences, then protect each plant with its own little collar of chicken wire?(Thinking more of Brassicas and the like there)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:51:10 by quizzical1 »
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 21:56:57 »
Why not harvest the rabbits and buy your veg in the shop? :)

donlottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 20:26:16 »
Cheers eristic thats the way to encourage a newbie !!!! As it happens I now that I have this plot and I am not about to give it up to a bunch of rabbits. The plot is surrounded by Chicken wire but I have not had a chance to inspect it fully. Rabbit stew may be the order of the day.......

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 21:21:38 »

Good luck with your plot . Perhaps some ferrets are in order to rid yourself of the rabbits.   

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:26:13 »
Re rabbits:
Are you allowed fencing at all round your plot?

If so, a lowish chicken wire fence might keep the little blighters off (presuming you don't trap them in when you erect it). Might have to consider digging a trench first so that the bottom of the fence is buried to try to stop them digging under it.

If you are using wire bury it sloping outwards, away from the enclosure.  If they start digging down and encounter wire a foot away from the fence it's more likely to discourage them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal