Author Topic: Flooded Allotments  (Read 1947 times)

Irish-Digger

• Not So New ...
    • Irish Digger
Flooded Allotments
« on: July 23, 2007, 17:40:18 »
I thought that we could start an thread to support anyone whose allotmant has been flooded in the recent weeks.

If you let us know then we could offer seadlings, or any other bits and bobs that may be of help.

So if your Allotment has beed devestadet by flooding let us know.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you are a mile away. And you have his shoes. !!!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Flooded Allotments
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 18:39:26 »
Irish - see my earlier thread for swaps offered on this topic -

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,33551.0.html

and if folks need a list of what they can still grow -

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,33549.0.html

Incidentally, my seed offers on the swap shop thread still stand (as I'm sure do everyone else's!).

Many thanks for the reminder, Irish, good to keep this topic live.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 21:09:45 »
Yes my offer still stands. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 18:57:13 »
and mine.  not had one request yet, perhaps everyone's given up.   :-[
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 20:38:40 »
Same here MrsKP.  I do hope people haven't given up for good though.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:24:02 »
hi all............
as you ....or should i say most .........of you know.we were hit badly by the floods.
many folk on here offered me loads of stuff..........but to be quite honest.the sight of the plots afterwards made me seriously think of giving up.
im now starting the long haul of regeneration................the weeds have had a good start on me..........but mr strimmer has made the place look a bit more like an allotment
our site is a mess.............the council have provided skips to help..............and posted notices saying that its maybe better not to eat anything grown here this year.
both my neighbours usualy spotless plots still lay in ruins..............ive spoken to one of them and hes told me hes not giving it up...........but hes just not got the heart this year to try again...........the guy on the opposite side has been down.........and not been seen since!
there is light at the end of the tunnel though...............new lottie owners are moving on.............work on existing plots is slowly starting to show that it is an allotment site................and my own plot is starting to take shape............
when i think of all the work............all the hours...........and the time it took me to reclaim this little peice of land.................it spurs me on............and im sure once my neighbours and i actualy get up there working side by side...laughing.joking...and sharing mugs of tea..........(and sometimes stronger drinks)....things will get back to normal
ok....................missed out this year.......................s**t happens.............its how you bounce back and cope that makes the difference..........
its too good a crack up there to let it all go just cause weve had a little setback..............i miss the warm summer nights with a hosepipe in one hand and a cold tin of beer in the other.............itll come again........maybe not this year.but hopefully next!
right...............enough moaning and groaning...................

off to cut the hedges.............stim the paths...............and look inside the greenhouse...........only look though...............lol............if the saying that "its grim up north" has any meaning.....................ive a new one...............

ITS GRIM UP NORTH..........BIT ITS GRIMMER IN MY GREENHOUSE

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 14:40:58 »
marestail murderer there is nothing i can say to make you feel better.

Just know that i will be there to feed you cyber cups of tea as needed  ;)

Keep smiling!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 16:14:19 »
wow that is the british spirit  with that kind of bottle you will always be a winner
thinking of you and everyone else who is on the road to recovery
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 17:13:53 »
Well done sweetie, hang in there, I think this year was a complete fluke and we will bwe back on track next year. Our weeds are waist high after the floods but we are not worrying about it this year. We will cover and start again in the spring XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 17:39:54 »
...maybe there is some positives you can take from this.

If there was a problem with the layout of your plot before then you can start again.

maybe the council can get a rotivator, mini digger in to help you all clear your plots?

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 00:21:24 »
quarter way there...............!!!
dug up beds and discovered that where there should have been potatos.there was nothing........?
not even rotten ones?
strimmed and cut the paths..............hedges..............tidied about a bit............long way to go but its amazing...........after all this..nature still pulls thru............
this year will now give me time to finish the master plan i had in my head from the start.so yeah.......the fruit area will get done.............the main path between the two plots will get lowered and leveled.................fencing will get finished..........and my long awaited deck along the river will hopefully make its way from the drawing board to actualy being built...........
thanks again all...................
oh..................the river was bad................but at least it never detered the theiving barstewards that raided all the sheds the other day.............i hope they catch somthing from eating contaminated produce.............it may make finding them easier if it causes severe disruptions to their toilet training........lol.......we,ll just follow the trail......lol

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 18:40:56 »
what rotters!! Did you lose anything?

Maybe you should build a trap door into your deck you can hide tools in??

Still sounds like your getting it all tidied up and ready for next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal