Author Topic: All used up  (Read 1739 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
All used up
« on: June 18, 2004, 17:13:34 »
That's it, the last of the shop brought spuds and onions all gone, from now on, only home grown going to be used in this house (hope I have enough spuds  :-\)  Self sufficiency here we come!  ;D

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:All used up
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 17:35:45 »
Hi Emma,you could always plant a few more spuds if youre not sure...they would be ready about Xmas'ish.....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 17:38:06 »
ah the gentle blush of innocence,one never has enough-but is sure good while it lasts :)

Stephan

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 19:58:07 »
There is no comparison EJ is there especially with the first earlies?  I'm a sad case, I do give some of the first earlies away but I have to make myself do it!  Never thought I would grudge anying but there you go .... and I am becoming quite envious of all you southerners, ours won't get lifted until second week July, oooooh it's so hard being patient but for the sake of marital bliss I will ....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 20:15:02 »
Just use them till they're gone - then you know how many to plant next year (ie how many fields of spuds! )
Just literally eaten my first spuds (Duke of york) andof course they were exquisite.
Two more rows to go, then Charlotte, then king edward, then pink fir apple . . .
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 20:16:42 by Derekthefox »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 20:41:15 »
But whats the best way to store them when you need to dig them up to put other stuff in?!! (have given away loads :-\)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 21:12:52 »
Storing - Earlies get used fast, so no problem. Seconds and Maincrop we have used paper sacks (not ideal), hessian sacks (ok) but now store in those collapsible plastic boxes with the "openwork" sides diff variety in each box, stacked on top of each other in order of lifting (first lifted first used usually but depends on how variety keeps) with clean black porous membrane draped over. Works for us but no dobut everyone has there own way.

Cheers.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 21:22:22 »
What a good idea wicker!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal