Author Topic: allotment envy  (Read 4912 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
allotment envy
« on: August 14, 2007, 15:03:42 »
Does anyone else get allotment envy when they look at some of the better plots?

Some people's fruit and veg seem way ahead of mine early in the year - beans flowering, potatoes like trees etc while mine are all still seedlings.

Beautifully edged beds with neat brick paths. They get me as well.

What gives you allotment envy?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: allotment envy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 15:10:09 »
yep, i had that for a long time.

Now the majority of allotment holders who had spent ages on there plot last year have ran out of steam and there plots are now all worse than mine. And there 'advice' has stopped equaly ace!!

Except my neighbours which is still great  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 15:16:19 »
oh yes - I remember that 'advice' or 'innocent' comments like 'what a lot of weeds!' or 'oh you're growing XYZ - I used to do that! You'll never get rid of it'

It seems to stop after the first year or two.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 16:12:18 »
envy when they look at some of the better plots?

No, I get it when I look at all of the other plots, as they all seem better than mine  :(  I think that it probably has something to do with my exuberant use of plastic bottles as netting holders and the lack of proper architecture (not to mention that my plants are half the size and number of everyone else's.

But I'm improving slowly - getting better each and every day..

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 16:16:48 »
Lack of architecture - exactly!

It does take time. I think all the best plots are people who've been there decades. Plus they're retired, and are therefore there every day!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 16:17:57 »
"An allotment is forever not just for a season" My gardening moto  ;) and it certainly makes them stop 'advising'.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 16:21:11 »

;D  :-X

;D

Role on retirement.........

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 16:37:42 »
Lack of architecture - exactly!

my plot of weeds suddenly looked much more like an allotment as soon as I put up my runner bean canes :)
now I have a brassica bed with netting and everything!

am also doing the bed thing but am in the minority on my site as most other plot holders are old boys who don't do paths and crop every available inch in long, long lines

I do get envious when I see people's water butts though, I still haven't got one. when I do it'll have to be one of those plastic blue barrels, otherwise it won't be a proper allotment water butt ::) ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:02:56 »
Norfolklass, do you not have water?

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 12:27:25 »
hi cam
yes, we do have water but the nearest tap is halfway up the hill so it's a bit of a watering can marathon ::)
some plot holders have rigged up their own personal hoses and taps over the years but there's no water on my plot.
I've got a shed and some guttering but just need a couple of butts then I can put together a rainwater harvesting system. I also bought some cheap seep hoses from the local pound shop for when I'm really organised ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 12:38:06 »
My plot is better than some but nowhere near as good as others. Some but not all the plots that may seem better than yours are probably worked on all day every day by people who are retired and have done it for years.

There are 3 plots next to mine that have been shared by numerous members of the same family for almost 90 years. They have somebody there everyday at least 2 hours daily. Last year the 89 year old mother was even plodding along with a hoe. Not a weed in sight and they always have spectacular crop, full rows, seemingly disease free all year round. They all no longer work and their kids have flown the nest.

About once a month, I walk round our site looking at other plots to see if there are any good ideas I could put to use in my plot.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 14:46:07 »
hi cam
yes, we do have water but the nearest tap is halfway up the hill so it's a bit of a watering can marathon ::)
some plot holders have rigged up their own personal hoses and taps over the years but there's no water on my plot.
I've got a shed and some guttering but just need a couple of butts then I can put together a rainwater harvesting system. I also bought some cheap seep hoses from the local pound shop for when I'm really organised ;D

Ah, i got mine from chivers farm ( jelly people ) who sell them for £5 each.

There might be somewhere near you where you can get the same?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 14:56:05 »
Not with plots,but on a recent trip to Durham we saw some plots ( ST Margaret's?) The position was fantastic, including a
great view of the cathedral ,would have taken photo but it was too snowy!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 15:38:41 »
i,m jealous of, big plots mine is 20' by 60', sheds and g/houses,chickens, tapped water mm i would love a big garden i could just pop out to instead of 10mins drive or 20mins cycle oh well beggers cant be choosers just have to enjoy what i ,v got
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 18:22:45 »
I have 'plot next door' envy........not because it is a well laid out haven of produce, but because it is an overgrown open space that I have such plans for in my head :o......I know this is bad but I can't help it!! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 18:25:45 »
haha sounds intresting  ;)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 10:22:14 »
I have 'plot next door' envy........not because it is a well laid out haven of produce, but because it is an overgrown open space that I have such plans for in my head :o......I know this is bad but I can't help it!! ::)

Same here - although we have a small 55' x 25'  it is almost enough because no large family to feed, but I would really another two beds or so for my experimental plantings and the plot next door has a bramble, raspberry, convolvulus and other weeds wilderness that would be just the right size.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 10:02:38 »
I'm envious of everyone at the mo, cos I've got an 80 foot by 26 foot plot of couch grass and being a beginner, probably delusions of grandeur! But I figure if I keep reading, researching and praying maybe just maybe I'll get a spud next year!  :o
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 15:17:46 »
I do get envious when I see people's water butts though, I still haven't got one. when I do it'll have to be one of those plastic blue barrels, otherwise it won't be a proper allotment water butt ::) ;D

I know what you mean, but plummed for the green type with a tap on from a gardening magazine (£35 for a but with a tight lid, tap and stand and 4 'drippers' that convert a plastic drinks bottle into a convenient container watering system).

I used to just have 2 orange buckets that were collecting the run-off from shed #1 and after one night of piddly rain they both were half full!

I often see those blue barrels on evilBay down your way - unfortunately they wouldn't deliver this far north and no-one else was selling them up here otherwise I'd have bought a few of those instead!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 18:08:54 »
Water butts! Where I live in Minehead - a firm makes those huge oil containers for houses!  They make the odd mistake and I picked up a really huge one dirt cheqp - have put a tap on and sited it where there is a row of council garages backing onto my plot - I have got oodles of water now - otherwise it was a hefty walk down to a tap and uphill back to my plot,  our council don't allow hoses. 

Incidentally we pay £40 per half plot per year for the pleasure!  I am sure we must be the most expensive in the country!  Still wouldn't be without my lotties (2 and a bit!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal