Author Topic: where exactly is your allotment - Northern Ireland (see we do exist!)  (Read 19017 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Newtownards- on the map at last
xx sunloving ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Can't believe I didn't add Northern Ireland.  Bad person Emma!  Especially having spent an amazing weekend in Belfast there with a mate!   hoorah for Sunloving!

sunloving

• Hectare
Aww thanks emma

Hope its not just me!
 :)
sunloving

scotch-mist

• Acre
Hi sunloving,
                   I'm in Tobermore, Co Londonderry or Co. Derry, (either does me)
   ;D ;D ;D   I'm originally from Glasgow.

I don't have an allotment, just an acre of weeds :P

Keep in touch  ;)

I was getting lonely here on my own for so long ;D ;D ;D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

sunloving

• Hectare
Hi Scotch mist
and Hooray! So thats two of us and neither of us are Northern Irish.and we are a 70 miles apart!
Are you on a site with others or do you have your patch in a lonely old field by yourself?

I'm on a private site where we pay a very high rent in county down for the privilege which is hard after paying £14 a year for a plot twice the size of my current one back in fleetwood (Lancashire) . ho hum at least the raspberries and strawberry's help soften the blow. and my plot neighbours are lovely.

keep the flag flying!
x sunloving

scotch-mist

• Acre
Re: where exactly is your allotment - Northern Ireland (see we do exist!)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 00:58:02 »
Shhhhhh !  We're invading and they don't even realise it  ;D ;D ;D
They are too busy fighting with each other to notice us yet  ;D ;D ;D

I have an acre of weeds with a few veggies growing in the corner. To be honoust , I have no hope of ever getting it all under control by myself so I am clearing a reasonable sized patch for next year to grow more veggies on and room for the greenhouse I hope to get for Christmas.
            Once the boys get a bit older I would like to start my own business growing stuff and selling to the public, I'm thinking polytunnels, but that's a few years down the road yet.
Keep in touch,  ;)

sunloving

• Hectare
 Hello !
Im really happy , ive finally moved from my very expensive private plot to a half share on the belfast council annadale allotments.

We've got bizarre field horsetail as the major weed , it lookes like a whole field of mini pine trees. But its mine all mine! yay.

Hope that i can persuade some of my new neighbours to come over to a4a!
x sunloving

scotch-mist

• Acre
Hi sunloving,
good for you, keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on in your new lottie, I know what you mean when it comes to field horsetail, pity I don't know any recipes for it I would have enough to live on all year round ;D ;D ;D ( the rascals call it lambs tails  ;D ) don't' know where they get that name from  ??? but they insist on picking me bunches of the stuff to put in vases  ::)
   It would be nice if you could persuade some neighbours to join us.

Take care  ;)

mark45

• Half Acre
im in barlby selby north yorkshire and my plot is just round the corner

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 01:45:54 »
Hi Mark45
your right, we're practically neighbours ;D
 I didn't think anyone else read this thread  ;D ;D ;D
Nice to meet you, we will probably bump into each other form time to time

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 07:50:32 »
Sunloving,
           I spent a bit of time NI if my memory serves me right are you NE/W of Belfast great countryside and when I get back over there it will be with mi fishing rods  :)                 

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:39:06 »
Hi Mr Smith
I hope you don't mind me replying, but when you mentioned fishing I thought you might like to know that there's great fishing just down the road from me.
     One of my neighbours regularly catches rainbow trout in the river Moyola and swaps me some for some of the veg I grow in my garden.  He's also partial to my home made jam. ;D
Next time your over here you should try the Moyola, the fishing is pretty good. ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 14:35:31 »
With a bit of luck I hope to be over in NI with the caravan next year with fishing rods  :)

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 23:11:51 »
Nice one,
There is a nice, big, wide layby right next to the bridge that spans the river near me. Plenty of room for your car and caravan and if you need somewhere a bit more private and secure theres always the acre of ground round my house, your more than welcome to park there if your in the area.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
I'm in sunny East Belfast here. Unfortunately I don't own a plot, I've just put my name down and hopefully get one in the Belmont Allotment.

Could someone answer a few questions for me?

How long will I have to wait, I know you can't be exact on this but have you any idea?

Is there opening and closing times for the plot? Are you given a key? I have a love for astronomy and own a small scope. As I'm very light polluted on the lower Newtownards Road, the allotment would be a great place to set up my small telescope.

Finally, I'm currently growing in my back yard, I don't even have a garden :'( I'm growing everything in pots, buckets and grow bags. One handy tip I can give, at your local recycling centre, they supply you with large green recycling bags for free. They are big and strong enough for growing potatoes. I've got 4 lined up for this seasons spuds  ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
Hi
The belfast list is 250 people long although they were planning to open a new site this year. The wait was about three years.
You can request the list through the freedom of information law vias the council website.

There are private allotments in newtownards and near gransha and saintfieild if you get desparate.
But try putting a plee in the telegraph for someone who is struggling to keep up thier plot. this is how i got my half a plot.
Good luck with it.
Free manure from a stable on school lane at crossgar (theres a sign outside so just knock on the door)
x sunloving (now moved to Near Blackpool yipee)

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
Hi
The belfast list is 250 people long although they were planning to open a new site this year. The wait was about three years.
You can request the list through the freedom of information law vias the council website.

There are private allotments in newtownards and near gransha and saintfieild if you get desparate.
But try putting a plee in the telegraph for someone who is struggling to keep up thier plot. this is how i got my half a plot.
Good luck with it.
Free manure from a stable on school lane at crossgar (theres a sign outside so just knock on the door)
x sunloving (now moved to Near Blackpool yipee)

Thanks and very useful information.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
Thanks for your very useful info Sun, I bit the bullet I'm now on a plot on the vista allotments behind streamvale open farm, not far from the Icebowl. Its pretty expensive but the council's waiting list is now 10 years  :o so I don't really have a choice.

Its a greenfield site though so I don't have a lot of preparation or expense on the ground. The guy who owns it is very helpful and he's very flexible as to sheds etc. I've already met some of my neighbours who gave me some onion sets to get me going. I've loads of peas and beans to return the favour.

I'm waiting on my fence posts to go up but I have a water supply installed already. I put a few bits of string in to square a bed off to get me started tonight.

(Not the greatest of images.)

scotch-mist

• Acre
Hi Glentoranmark
I haven't been on A4A for quite some time, so have just seen your post.
How are you getting on with your allotment?
I have a weed ridden patch that I need to seriously get under control.
I have been busy having kids, and renovating my house so it has now got a mind of its own.
I hate to admit it but I was so lazy last week that I talked a friend into putting his horse into the garden to eat down the weeds  ;D LOL, and it done a really great job, so I'm going to get my act and my three wee "helpers" (and I use that term loosely) together and spend the rest of the school holidays to get some ground cleared ready for next year.

Keep in touch and all the best

KENWOOD

Hi all, another in northern ireland. Vista not cheap but green field site, no vandalism, nice neighbours, great views . What more could you ask for!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal