Author Topic: Potatoes for Christmas  (Read 791 times)

donlottie

• Half Acre
  • Stinging nettles as far as the eye can see!!!
Potatoes for Christmas
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:29:05 »
I have a new plot,cleared of the top growth of nettles but not the roots. Is it too late to grow potatoes to break down the roots of the weeds and have acrop ready for Christmas

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks

Shirl

Smileyk

• Quarter Acre
Re: Potatoes for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 13:01:52 »
I'm no expert but we were told it was okay and so have just planted some. :D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 13:20:39 »
It's chancy. Frost is the main danger, plus the chance that they might rot if the ground is too cold & damp. Your best bet is to plant some in a large tub - I use an old beer fermenting tub with holes drilled in it - and then you can move it under cover if necessary. (Keep it in a GH or shed and you might even keep picking through the winter.)

But try them outside as well, if the land's spare. (Don't forget you need land for onions & garlic in October/November.) But keep an eye on them!

sutton girl

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:14:27 »
I have just put out some potatoes to try over winter they are in my raised bed so will let you know how they do over the comming months
Sue

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:17:34 »
i have put two rows out in the garden and for an experiment have one of each type growing in a thick black garden refuse sack with plenty of holes in it, i have now got growth starting on one of the ones direct in the ground and one in the sack fingers crossed

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal