Author Topic: Grapevine  (Read 1842 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Grapevine
« on: August 14, 2007, 20:50:37 »
I'm debating growing a grapevine in the greenhouse next year.  I've got as far as looking at vines, but am a little apprehensive about how much space they will require - are they worth the space ?  Will the grapes ripen / sweeten this far north ?

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Grapevine
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 21:36:16 »
Depends what else you want to grow in the greenhouse.  Also depends on the size of the greenhouse.

We had a grapevine in a 10' x 8' greenhouse which we were also trying to grow tomatoes.  Big mistake.  The vine blocked out all the light to the tomatoes.  The variety of vine was Black Hamburg, and despite my thinning the bunches they never came to much.  A friend took away a year's crop and made wine from it - even that wasn't good.

valmarg

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 16:45:33 »
Yes many types will ripen under glass where you are but heed Valmarg as they can take up a lot of room-ruthless pruning is needed if you want to grow things like tomatoes and cucumbers.

Mine is Black Hamburgh as well and although it`s reliable and crops well the fruit is a bit `pippy` so I tend to press most of the crop and freeze the juice. There are better varieties if you want to grow one

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 17:18:07 »
I too have a black Hamburg, it is 30 years old and very rampant, we grew very little else in that house except low lying things, we have sweet potatoes in there.

I would like a really good seedless green in it's place if I could thoughthey are\tasty they are full of pips. This was taken about 2 months ago
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:15:41 »
Looks good Jeannine how big is the glass house its in and how much fruit do ya get off it. :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 18:47:38 »
It's great Jeannine, and underplanting with sweet potato is very sensible!
 ;D
Do you know a good white seedless that can do outside? I've heard Lakemont can do the business..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal