Author Topic: Goodbye Bertie  (Read 2728 times)

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
Goodbye Bertie
« on: June 18, 2004, 13:38:53 »
Just wanted you all to know that our dear cat Bertie died in his sleep in the early hours of Monday morning. We miss him so much. He was only 12 years old.
Granny is still your best friend !

nepeta

• Not So New ...
  • I love cats
Re:Goodbye Bertie
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 14:08:01 »
So sorry to hear about your cat Bertie. My thoughts are with you.

Nepeta.
Cats rule !

Yellow Petals

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 15:32:15 »
So sorry to hear that, Granny Smith Hope you'll soon be feeling better.

Sammy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 15:35:29 »
so sorry Granny. Big hugs.
gone to pot :D

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 18:55:19 »
All my sympathy Granny,as we also lost a loved cat 12 yrs a few months ago.But you know you gave your pet the best life and lots of love, and could do no more.Take care.Toots

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 18:59:00 »
Know how you must feel Granny - Bertie was the same age as my two cats.   So sorry - cyber hugs to you :-*
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 21:47:46 »
So sorry Granny - we lost Cheeky after over 20 years and Bonnie was only 2 - but Belle keeps us on our toes.  You really do miss their quiet presence and knowing looks.

Megan
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 10:42:41 »
I've just this minute read your post GS.

There's nothing I can say that will make you feel any better I'm afraid although I'm glad he simply 'slept away'. So much better than dying in pain or having to be put to sleep.

Pets leave such a void in out lives when they're no longer with us don't they? It always annoys me when people say things like - "Well it was only a cat/dog/bird" or "Just get another one." They obviously don't understand (and have never felt) the bond that is formed between an animal and it's human family!!

I hope you'll soon be able to smile again and remember all the good times you had with Bertie and the love and affection you shared over the years.

Love and sympathy. Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

flowerbaby_uk

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 19:23:59 »
sending u cyber hugs Granny Smith my present cat is 14 yrs old now and i will be totally lost when she goes i had a beautifull cat stolen a few yrs ago she was my present cat tabithas baby and she was 7 yrs old and both me and her mum missed fluffball so much she was named that because when she was born she was just one big ball of lovely smokey grey fur Pets are more than an object u just replace but only true cat lovers or like minded peeps understand that my thoughts are with u gs  :-*

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 22:21:06 »
So sorry to hear Bertie, your lovely cat has died GrannyS.  It is always very painful to lose your pet. It must be a comfort to know he died in his sleep, the best possible way to go. To just drift away without pain is how you would want any passing to take place.

Someone I know, just recently said that they never kept a pet, because it would be too painful when they died. But I thought they were missing so much, and although it is painful, the love and happiness and comfort you get from a pet far outweighs all the hurt when they go.  Remember all the happy times you had together,  and how you and Bertie each enhanced each others lives.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 10:59:09 »
Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts - sorry it has taken a bit of time to get back to you, it has not been easy for me to adjust to life without him.
Bertie had a happy and full life but was a bit unfortunate with his health so needed our constant care.
At an early age he developed urinary problems which eventually resulted in him having major surgery and having a stoma to replace most of his urinary tract. In latter years he developed diabetes which needed 2 insulin injections a day to control and then he developed food allergy problems which gave him a bad skin condition.
The vet suspects that it was a tumour on his spine which caused his death. It was affecting his balance and causing massive weight loss. Sadly he was at the vets when he died as he was very poorly and was admitted on Sunday and placed on a 'drip' to try to stabalise him. The vet has assured me that he died naturally and peacefully in his sleep, she had to check him twice to be certain, as he looked as if he was asleep.
We have had him cremated and he is now back home.  
Granny is still your best friend !

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 20:33:49 »
Dear GS, just saw this and had to say so sorry, appreciate your sadness. Animals give us So much, such love. Guess it hits right now as my best friend is having her older dog put to sleep on Monday, before his dignity goes , and another friend has just had to put her younger dog to sleep through cancer. I savour every day i have with my dearest Lurcher, but i do think we are here to offer a chance to give an animal a chance to show love, and how rewarded we are. I hope she goes in sleep when her time comes, or that i can find the courage...Love from 'the best Lurcher in the world' and CLxxx

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 12:38:11 »
my sympathy to you too, G.S.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal