Author Topic: Late sowings of Peas  (Read 2696 times)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Late sowings of Peas
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:19:14 »
Hi all...has anyone ever successfully made late (like now frinstance)sowings of Peas for cropping the current season ? .If so,what variety did you use?,hope you can understand that ???....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:Late sowings of Peas
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:06:43 »
I think I will be sowing some peas later in the month. Can't think of the variety name yet, but you want ones with mildew resistance. - Just looked - the variety Ambassador (Mr Fothergills), according to the packet, can be sown upto early July.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 11:34:25 »
I've just put a batch of Dutch "capucijn" peas (black podded) in a length of guttering. They are a marrowfat (wrinkled) variety, but I wonder if round-seeded ones might be a better bet (like the ones you plant to overwinter.) It's one of John Seymour's dicta, You can never have too many peas, just as he states You can never have too many sprouts. :P You can easily have tooo many overcooked sprouts, but there again the hens don't seem to mind khaki sprouts for brekkie.
Sumer is a coming in....

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 11:41:48 »
Gilgamesh, what's the trick to the guttering? I got pretty more germination when I tried it.

Jeremy

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 11:49:41 »
Thanks everyone  :).........Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 13:48:09 »
Yes thanks a lot i'll put a row down when i pull me onions.Was todays job .But rain stopped play .I presume direct planting.I usually do peas as most other things in modules.Then again there are still the mice about may do both to be safe.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 14:41:05 »
I do the guttering thing because that means they are on the patio (which is poshspeak for back yard) where I see them / deal with them every day, but because you are planting the lot in one fell swoop there's less or no root disturbance. I suspect it would work for other things like swedes that don't approve of being transplanted, too.
Sumer is a coming in....

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 14:58:15 »
Never had a decent crop of peas without spraying,so grow more broadies instead.Don't know if there is a another way.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 15:08:45 »
Do peas not like root disturbance?

(I haven't got any guttering and I don't like buying things!)
gone to pot :D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 16:08:44 »
Why not try modules then? Just dig a hole when they are big enough and xplant them i plant 2 peas in each and dont have many misses
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 16:09:57 by budgiebreeder »

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 17:02:21 »
Hi again,just thought I'd mention that I tried peas in modules(5 per toilet roll inner ::) and they are now producing quite well, both sugar snap and Hurst Greenshaft,the recent sowing in situ have not shown yet (10 days),so I guess I might have lost those to mice or birds :'( so that's a plus for modules in my book.....Alan
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 17:39:01 by ALANG »
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 17:42:32 »
Yes-and most main crop sorts-you would be amazed how many things can be grown `late`OK some will be a failure but it`s fun.

Stephan.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 19:49:05 »
think you've all said it already.  Anyway, we sow first lot in modules and a second sowing direct in the ground.  First sowing of mange tout being harvested, mid and late varieties (Balmoral and Jaguar) flowering/podding fine. Don't find any problem transferring from modules just make hole and pop whole "ball" in as BB said above. Direct sown about 3 weeks ago (all same varieties) about 4" high now.

Pleeezze let there not be pea moth ::)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 19:25:05 »
 ;)Been and bought a packet half price at Wilkinsons put them in modules and prepared the ground ready to plant out so here goes.Also got my broad Beans ready for an Autumn sowing whilst i was there.

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 21:15:37 »
Re starting in modules. For the last couple of years I've just pre-germinated anything with a large seed (peas, beans, sweetcorn, courgettes) on wet kitchen paper in marge tubs, then planted them carefully so as not to damage the root. It seems to work just as well as modules and is good for me because I only have a rather small windowsill and a rather small cold frame which get very crowded in April.

Sue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal