Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 5035 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 19:01:31 »
Vista needs a lot of memory, I have 2GB.
Vista and a few applications open takes up 1.09GB.
So if I only had 1GB, it would be considerably slower due to Vista using the hard disk
as memory (slow read/writes compared to memory).

I have a Compaq A910 which has been very good so far.  :D

I had to turn off the 'tapping' feature of the mousepad, as it was thinking I was
double clicking or dragging icons around all the time with my heavy hands.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 00:39:55 »
Vista on 1GB isn't actually all that bad. You'll never make it a power users machine, but my Dad gets along fine with his lowly 1GB. Vista has a habit of filling as much physical RAM as it can handle, and readyboost (using flash memory as RAM) helps the speed of things loading, and switching between some applications.

I'm a power user though, and I need 2GB+. In fact, I run 4GB in this laptop. Rarely see the topend of that, bar when Adobe Lightrooming and Photoshopping, plus a million tabbed IE windows.

Tap to click drives me mad too. Even comes on the pointer stick and trackpad on this - straight off!

Tim

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 18:01:57 »
Vista! Where do I start! Bought a new 'puter because the other didn't pute anymore. How things change in 5 years - I'm almost lost, but not quite ;)

I've worn out 4 computers so far in the last 15 years but Vista has tried to take revenge. What a job to get it to do things you want. I have spent 2 1/2 days getting an internet connection. Most things don't want to work with it because it's so new. I have downloaded some 31 upgrades etc from microsoft, 1 for the monitor (50mb), 1 for the modem, 7 for a router, I think thats about it.

I wish I had taken my old computer in for repair (could probably do it myself actually) £700 later and I'm just getting there. Of course you blame yourself for what you have forgotten, you blame the new computer for Vista, you would blame the dog if it would help.

Anyway, I am getting there but - I made a promise to someone (upstairs) and I now have to go to church on Sundays for the next month (that is a month of Sundays isn't it?)
Happiness is leaf shaped

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 23:54:20 »
Vista! Where do I start! Bought a new 'puter because the other didn't pute anymore. How things change in 5 years - I'm almost lost, but not quite ;)

I've worn out 4 computers so far in the last 15 years but Vista has tried to take revenge. What a job to get it to do things you want. I have spent 2 1/2 days getting an internet connection. Most things don't want to work with it because it's so new. I have downloaded some 31 upgrades etc from microsoft, 1 for the monitor (50mb), 1 for the modem, 7 for a router, I think thats about it.

I wish I had taken my old computer in for repair (could probably do it myself actually) £700 later and I'm just getting there. Of course you blame yourself for what you have forgotten, you blame the new computer for Vista, you would blame the dog if it would help.

Anyway, I am getting there but - I made a promise to someone (upstairs) and I now have to go to church on Sundays for the next month (that is a month of Sundays isn't it?)

I can't figure out why people spend all that money and put up with the aggravation when they could change to the Linux Ubuntu OS for free and get their software for free as well.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal