Author Topic: Broad beans  (Read 2218 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Broad beans
« on: June 17, 2004, 23:31:21 »
Picked my broadies today, masses!  The kids shucked them for me and I had over a pound of beans!  I am the only taker so broad bean risotto, broad bean salad, broad bean salsa, broad bean soup, etc, etc  ;D  Am I complaining, no chance.  And the great thing is, those were my winter sown ones, my spring sown broadies are all fattening up and I reakon are only 2 weeks away from picking.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re:Broad beans
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 07:20:50 »
i can't believe how fast the beans grow once they appear! thoroughly recommend broad beans, thinly sliced home grown onion in a lemon juice and olive oil dressing!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 09:27:26 »
Legless, beans cooked or beans raw?

I'n new to broad beans -having been put off by tough-shelled ones as a kid, but am rapidly being converted and will definately grow more next year.

Question to self -why have you been growing overwintering field beans as a green manure when you could have been growing broad beans  ???

Jeremy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 09:32:16 »
Someone please remind me to sow some broadies in the autumn. I keep forgetting and then the beans get attacked by blackfly before they produce anything for me to eat.  :'( (just feeling sorry for myself today after the parsnip palavar!)
gone to pot :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 11:07:11 »
I'll try to remind you...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 11:38:49 »
Went to my sister-in-law's house yesterday to collect a broody bantam, and she's got a couple of "broad beans" that I'm not sure of. They are about 5 ft tall, and have the characteristic square stems, but are loaded with 3-4 in long pods all the way up. Does that sound familiar to anyone? They are self-evidently a vetch, but I'm wondering if they are a tic bean.
Sumer is a coming in....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 12:15:50 »
db - if you ever have old beans, just skin them. Some chefs do that with any beans. And you pay for it!! = Tim

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 14:08:12 »
very lightly cooked (boiled or steamed)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 17:45:11 »
A bit premature for this one but old beans can be cooked,remove the tough skin and make a `Dhal`

Stephan

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 18:30:32 »
A gorgeous way I enjoy them is poached in a very light white sauce (butter, flour, milk), with perhaps a touch of onion or garlic to add flavour. They are positively divine, words cannot describe the ecstasy of those first beans. As I write, my first Duke of York new pots are simmering on the stove, hope to get my first beans over the weekend.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 18:33:25 »
Yes, cleo, I have done similar - pureed beans (but I leave the skins in), lashings of garlic and oil, and chili and onion to taste. Makes a nice simple dish with nan and salad.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 18:34:33 by Derekthefox »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal