Author Topic: A newbie with a few questions  (Read 1311 times)

KateG

• Not So New ...
A newbie with a few questions
« on: August 10, 2007, 21:41:11 »
We've been offered an allotment after a short wait (which we were told would be years). We are so excited at the prospect but can't go and view the site until Monday. We've been told it is very over grown but don't know anything else (including what size it is).

It is going to be a family affair - myself and my husband doing the donkey work and me and Mum keeping it ticking over between.

I'm keen to give it a go but don't want to take it on and fail miserabley. So in your experience, what would be considered 'too much'. I suppose what I mean is, if we clear it (what is the best way?) is it likely to need a high level of tlc forever or will it be a one off over haul (with the usual expected work through out the year).

I'm not work shy but do have 2 small children, I don't want to take on something that will require me digging morning noon and night forever  ;)

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
Re: A newbie with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 22:00:28 »
I'm in almost same position.  I'm self-employed so an hour down the plot is an hour not making stock.  My solution is to get up early, Carol walks the dogs, I get an hour or two down the Allotment.

OK you may need to vary this but so far little and often is making headway.  Let's face it, we'll get a bit in this backend but we've 4/5 months before the main plantings so there's plenty of time.  Talking to folks on my site the big mistake they see newbies making is busting a gut over a couple of weekends and then running out of steam.

Have lots of fun (I am)

Steve

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 22:01:02 »
This is a topic that  comes up a lot, you won't be surprised to hear! What's "too much" for one person may not be for another. And personally, I have days when I think "why did I take this on?" and other days when I think "I love this!". If the plot really is covered in weeds, and it looks daunting, I would try to cover a lot of it in black plastic (strim it first if it needs it) or put weedkiller on it if you're not organic, and concentrate on a manageable area so you can get something growing fairly quickly. When you uncover the rest in the spring, the weeds will be easier to get out, and by then you'll know how much is "too much",hopefully!

KateG

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 22:07:17 »
Thank you for your thoughts. Little and often sounds good.

I just don't want to go in with all guns blazing and then realise that we haven't got the man power to sustain the constant weeding.

My Mum is the gardener, she said we probably wouldn't cope if the weeds are perenials. But Mum is also in almost constant pain so what would be too much for her probably won't be for me.

Tricky one, but very exciting none the less.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 23:41:13 »
Don't get disheartened if you "clear" a patch and miss a couple of weeks, for unavoidable reasons, come back and find it overgrown... you will have swapped deep rooted weeds like brambles, docks and dandelions and toughies like couch but most of the regrowth will be annuals which haven't been able to compete with the nasties but take a lot less shifting!
 :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:38:03 »
Hi
I took on my plot in march of this year. I found that by just digging clearing a bed at a time and getting it planted before moving on to the next one , that i didnt get disheartened at the enormity of the task. then in june my parents cam for a visit and helped me along with the final third of the plot still undug/weeded.

the first year is the hardest. but after that youve got all sorts of things in over winter sucha s strawberries and raspberries; the soil is in much better condition because of your efforts and the bank of weed seed is diminished aGain becuase of your efforts. so youve just got to make it to the next back end and youll probably be there for life!!  :)
who could go back to supermarket tomatoes/strawberries after eating their own on a sunny morning full of flavour!

good luck. its really worth all the hard work in year one!

x sunloving

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 15:28:02 »
Thinking ahead, I've now got into the habit of covering up any area that I've dug over if I'm not going to replant it straight away, even if it's only for a week or two- anything to help keep the weeds down and the moisture in!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal