Author Topic: I'm chuffed - got French beans  (Read 2687 times)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
I'm chuffed - got French beans
« on: August 05, 2007, 14:52:19 »
picked my very first French beans today - never grown them before and these are in a 3ft trough on my patio (which hardly get any sunshine under normal conditions, let alone this year) ???.....loads and loads coming on but these seemed just about right to pick.....love the creamy/pale lemon coloured flowers - dunno why, was expecting red flowers like the runner beans I grew in same trough last year....these are French climbing beans 'sultana' variety - pencil shaped as you can see.....plan to eat them tomorrow :P hope they taste as good as they look

debster

• Hectare
Re: I'm chuffed - got French beans
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 15:14:48 »
look yummy

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 15:34:34 »
Well done, they look great.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 15:48:58 »
Mmmm, I LOVE French Beans, so much nicer than runners in my opinion. Hope you enjoy them ;D

cj :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 15:53:26 »
Yum they look great  ;D

Ours have gone weird, a bit furry with purple stripes on - never mind there's always next year  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 16:49:06 »
Straight in the steamer with new spuds, baby carrots and a few sprigs of mint.  :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 18:23:13 »
Many varieites have some purple in them Kitten and the skin texture can be a bit furry sound fine to me... do you know your variety?
 :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 18:30:23 »
I think they're dwarf tendergreen saddad, but not 100% sure without looking  ::)

Sounds yum kev  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 16:54:32 »
well I ate the 'sultana' climbing French beans today - absolutely yummy, lovely flavour....did as Cornykev suggested, steamed them  (6 minutes)  perfect.....added courgettes & baby sweetcorn to the mix and had it with cold meats :P

can't wait for more to grow :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 17:04:03 »
They look very good indeed.  I didn't get around to sowing my French beans this year but I do have a large pot of runner bean Hestia which is a dwarf variety.   I planted them on 9 June and they are covered in flowers with about 8 baby beans already forming.  The flowers are very attractive too - scarlet and white - so you might want to give them a try next year?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 22:45:38 »
they sound interesting Georgie and how quickly they've produced!!

roughly how big is the pot (round, square or otherwise) and are they growing up some sort of framework? (wigwam maybe)

btw picked another good handful of beans this evening...guess what I shall be eating tomorrow ;)

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 19:26:50 »
I was amazed to find that I have some dwarf french beans ready now outside in Glasgow. It is usually september when I get to pick the first ones.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 20:18:37 »
HP the pot is a round one, 15" across and about the same deep.  I have four plants in it.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 22:05:14 »
thanks Georgie....silly of me to ask if growing up a framework - they're dwarf beans and don't need one  ::)  ;)

maybe try them another year - too late now I guess

another lovely feed of my beans tonight :P

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 22:09:30 »
<thanks Georgie....silly of me to ask if growing up a framework - they're dwarf beans and don't need one >

Well I just stick a cane in the middle of the pot to tie in anyway wayward branches.  I could spare you a few if you want to try some next year.  Send me a PM if interested.

G x

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 22:42:36 »
thanks Georgie...will pm you - would be nice to try a few - I'm picking a really good handful of the french climbing beans everyday, it's wonderful :) and they're gorgeous :P......will definitely grow them again.....got lots of seed over still in packet, will they keep ok for next year do you think?.......oh! just read back of packet and it says best before 2009 so guess they will be (or does that mean if the packet is unopened?)....I could spare some of these if you'd like to try them!

HP

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal