Author Topic: bramley Apple trees to FRANCE !  (Read 5035 times)

zoro

• Not So New ...
bramley Apple trees to FRANCE !
« on: August 10, 2007, 13:25:45 »
Hi
Wondered if anyone has advise my sister has just retired to the Dordgne area of France ....and is desperate to have a Bramley apple tree ...i am going over mid Sept and wondered .
1 Is it the right time to plant ?
2. Any problems taking fruit trees abroad ?
3. Is one enough or do i need more to pollenate them ?

Any advice re size / stock root etc ....much appreciated
thanks Zoro

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: bramley Apple trees to FRANCE !
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 13:28:34 »
ken muir sell the original bramley apples and will dispatch later in the year when its ok to plant the apple tree. I am sure that they will sent to france.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 14:08:25 »
Bramley trees need a couple of other pollenators flowering at the same time. they are triploids!
Gardening is the great leveller.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 14:39:35 »
Sorry, zoro, but I just typed a long reply, only for it to be another of my replies that has disappeared into the ether.  I'll give it another go, but am getting heartily sick of this!!

1.  If its a container grown plant any time is the right to plant.  Bare rooted, in the UK the best time to plant is October/November so long as there is no frost (which I would imagine would not be a problem in the Dordogne.

2. France, being another EU country, I believe there are no restrictions on plant movements.

3. The Bramley apple is a triploid, which means it needs two other varieties to pollenate it, to get any fruit.  There may be other apple trees in the vicinity, so you may not need to buy any other trees.

Bramley apples tend to be large, so do not do very well on dwarfing rootstock - the weight of the fruit can break the branches.

Hope the above is helpful,

valmarg

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 15:37:05 »
Why not consider another cooker ? Bramleys are biennal bearers.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 15:38:49 »
You can get a family apple tree, one tree with three different varieties grafted on. I have seen them with Bramleys as part of the trio, with this you would only need 1 tree,
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 17:55:54 »
To be accurate, Bramleys need  the same number of pollinators as any other apple, ie one. They don't produce pollen though, so unless there's a second pollinator, the first pollinator, not the Bramley, will be barren.

Have you checked what verieties are grown in that region of France? A local variety might well do better.

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 18:58:40 »
I cannot understand this, I have  Bramley tree full of apples yet twenty feet away is another Bramley tree and has never had an apple on it in ten years, is it a chop down job? any advice on how to get it to bear fruit? there are plenty of apple trees in near bye gardens.

zoro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 19:20:27 »
Many thanks .....
she has friends who have been there for years who yearn for bramliys so i do not think a local tree would fill the need ...but thanks .... i like the idea of a family tree with 2 other kinds ....sounds best solution to date ...ill explore a little ....thanks for all your responses ...Zoro

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 22:51:01 »
Are you sure the second tree is a Bramley? Does it flower?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 22:55:25 »
About 10 years ago I took a bramley to my cousin in Tuscany.  I took it in January in the car from Winchester to Milan, it sat on my Milanese balcony for nearly a month before I drove it down to Cortona.  There we went to the local garden centre to buy some more trees, and now there is a lovely orchard on a tuscan mountain.  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal