Author Topic: Help - can't access my emails  (Read 1511 times)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Help - can't access my emails
« on: July 20, 2007, 22:28:01 »
suddenly I'm unable to access my email which is provided by Mozilla Thunderbird......have tried 5 times to access it via icon on my desk-top and it tells me that......Entry Point Not Found.

plus.....a white X in a red circle and the words....'The Procedure entry point (then it gives some letters) could not be located in the dynamic link library (then a word with letters after it)...not put them in here in case they're 'sensitive' in some way.

then there's a box with OK.....in it....

totally bewildered by this - anyone any ideas what might be wrong please?

I'm totally useless when things go wrong with the computer as I honestly don't understand so many things about it....just ok with using it when everything ok....if things go wrong - have big problems....get confused with terminologies etc. so would need very simple, clear instructions (if anything to do) so I can follow it :-[

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Help - can't access my emails
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 00:56:52 »
Sounds like a corrupted shortcut or registry key due to windows update.

Do you know how to do a file search? If so, set it to look for thunderbird.exe to find the location of the original files. Double click the thunderbird.exe icon (make sure it is not just a shortcut but the real exe) and with luck the client will open. If successful, go back to the thunderbird.exe icon, right click on it and select 'Send To '. then 'Desktop (Create shortcut)' and you should be back in business. Delete the old shortcut.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:36:49 »
So kind of you to give that info Eristic.....have printed out what you've told me - not sure how to do a file search but can try to find out.

After I'd put the first message on here last night, I completely lost the ability to click onto anything from the icons on my destop....all linked to I.E. I think.

I always turn my computer off completely at night and having switched on this morning, have found, thank goodness, that I can access my emails again (as per normal) at the moment anyway!!......just hoping it was some sort of glitch that will stay away (or am I fooling myself).

Thanks so much....if I have further probs. might have to come back on this question.

I did have other problems earlier in the day (when we were experiencing here in Berkshire the terrible weather conditions) of another glitch....when I kept getting told my B.T. Home Hub Was Down......Not Connected - Your DSL Connection is down).....I tweaked a few wires and things came back and things (seem) to be ok with that too now.....maybe the weather - is that possible?.............it was terrible here - very frightening :o

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 17:30:30 »
I would suggest that if lightning is in the area, that you switch off the computer at the wall socket after shutdown. A 'surge protecter' is a good idea as you can't beat lightning!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 16:43:37 »
Hi Tellboy.....good advice that and something I always do......I also have a surge protector.

On the day that 'the loss of email access' happened, we'd had the torrential rain for hours and hours on end with some thunder rumbling around in the morning (but no visible lightening) and I'd had no trouble accessing mail then but......I lost that access late that same evening.....after switching off to go to bed that night and switching back on again next morning - things were back to normal and thankfully (fingers crossed) have remained that way - a mystery ::)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:57:58 »
I always recommend that when there is thunder about, turn off the computer, disconnect the mains lead and disconnect the internet/modem lead.If lightning strikes near an overhead line it can induce high voltages in the line.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal