Author Topic: Leeks and Smoked Haddock - Cullen Skink  (Read 3077 times)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Leeks and Smoked Haddock - Cullen Skink
« on: September 29, 2003, 00:13:40 »
Sorry - my recipes very much depend on what happens to be in the kitchen that day.  So this is a rough approximation of what my Cullen Skink might be!!!!  

It's basically a soup of leeks and smoked haddock, with a bit of mashed potato as a thickener.  The only seasonings I add are salt and pepper, with fresh parsley or coriander as a garnish, but I'm sure you could try others.

- Peel and boil 2-3 medium sized potatoes.

- Slice several leeks (4 - 6) and fry them gently in oil for a couple of minutes minutes; add a large (undyed!) smoked haddock, and continue cooking for a few minutes.  Add a mug of water and continue cooking until the fish is ready to flake (I remove the skin at this point).

- Drain and mash the potatoes, and add to the leek and fish mixture.

- Add milk, or 50:50 milk and water, and continue cooking for a few minutes - sprinkle with lots of fresh parsley or coriander and serve!!!!.

PS  Don't tell the recipe purists - but try this with less potato, and more fish.  Instead of the last stage of cooking, cut the top off a large pumpkin, scrape out the seeds, pour the soup in.  Replace the pumpkin lid, and bake in the oven until the pumpkin flesh is soft and tender.  

Number one son LOATHES pumpkin - but not this way!

Pumpkins in Cullen?  Sooner global warming kicks in the better!!!!!!  Pumpkin and smoked fish is a superb combination!

All best - Gavin
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal