Author Topic: Anyone got any layers they want to pass on?  (Read 1579 times)

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Anyone got any layers they want to pass on?
« on: August 07, 2007, 23:05:21 »
Hello all,

I was rather hoping to be able to re-home some battery hens on my allotment, but the Battery Hen Welfare Trust really only operate in the Midlands to the south, and I don't want to transport the poor things 200 miles in my bumpy Jimny just so that I can feel good about helping the poor things.

Does anyone know anyone who may be getting ready to restock their laying hens with younger ones which may be local to the north east?  I'm in Durham, but I don't mind travelling a reasonable distance as long as it isn't so far that it distresses the birds.

I know that I could get some from local breeders, and I will do when I'm more adept at looking after them (but don't take that to mean that my first set are 'practice hens' or anything) I just don't want to be innundated with eggs that I won't be able to eat or give away!  This is why I was looking for slightly older birds who may be past their prime.

Thanks in advance,
Su
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Anyone got any layers they want to pass on?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 18:16:21 »
I would'nt recomend it Suzi you might get some diseased cast offs. Why not just get a couple and see how you get on.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 20:40:14 »
I agree with northerner, particuarly as you are just starting out.  I would get a couple of point of lays from a reputable breeder who can give you advice when you need it.  Rehomed battery chooks might have all sorts of problems which you might not be able to sort out then you'd feel bad. 

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 22:25:48 »
Thanks guys, that sounds like good advice.

I'll go to Glencroft Poultry (not advertising - other chook suppliers are available!) as they have been recommended to me by KTLawson.

Thanks again  :D
Su
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal