Author Topic: annus horibilus  (Read 1169 times)

squeakycheeker

• Not So New ...
annus horibilus
« on: August 07, 2007, 00:26:19 »
this was going to be our big year to get the lottie going -sadly my poor old dad [85 years old] and his cerebellum had other ideas...three strokes since march with a side order of pneumonia and heart failure have had him bouncing between hospital,nursing home and home and me wearing out the tyres on my old saab going from tunbridge wells to worthing every week more or less sorting it all out.  just registering power of attorney on one of his numerous bank accounts has taken four trips to our lloyds branch - nightmare.... anyway, plot has gone unweeded , seedlings [corn,kale,fennel,pakchoi etc etc ] have all gone leggy,dried up or ravaged by snails/caterpillers etc...we come back from our annual camping trip after the august bank holiday so suggestions from the assembled crew as to what they would do to rescue the year and maybe tee things up for next season would be gratefully recieved.
       we have beetroot/chard/spuds/garlic /onions /leeks/asparagus/raspberries/rhubarb all in the ground and i think doing ok so its not a total write off  -one third of the plot is under black plastic and should be ready to dig over and manure [or not] in the autumn - couch grass and dock infests the rest.....thanks chris....

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: annus horibilus
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 00:41:47 »
sorry to hear your having a bad year, why not camp on your plot. no seriously i would just cover you other weeds and concentrate on spending time with your dad and take things easy till later in the year.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:54:57 »
Tunbridge Wells Chris? You and me are neighbours! I am in Crowborough!
I am with Cambourne, cover up those weeds, or if you are non organic, nuke them with weedkiller. Friend on our site just covers weeds with cardboard, then straw then a layer of manure, he has the best soil on the site!
A lot of people have not had a good growing year this year, me included, so you are not alone!
Hope you get everything sorted with your Dad
DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:56:01 »
Spend time with your Dad, the plot will wait...
 :(

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:45:05 »
It's a really difficult time, isn't it?  We've done it more than once in recent years.  You have our sympathies.

But I'm going to voice a little bit of dissent here.  Of course you'll want to spend time with your Dad, and that's always the priority.  But it's also good to have a bit of time for yourself, and sometimes that means being on the lottie away even from the family for an hour or two.

By the sound of things you'll be occupied with some recreational weeding of the veg you already have, but my suggestion is also to clear a bit of the "set aside" and plant onion sets or get some plug plants for overwintering things like leeks or maybe a few winter or spring cabbages.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 14:25:03 »
Wise words Melbourne12. When things are stressful you need a bolt hole-even if it's just for an hour now and then. Where better than the lottie?
Set no targets, just fiddle about and have some quiet thinking time. Why not plan for next year while you're there? I hope your Father improves Chris.
Smile, it confuses people.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 02:39:24 »
I'd agree on the escape route - the fresh air alone will help clear your head and recharge your batteries - and you can take out any frustration on the weeds! For things to grow now or in the autumn, see the link below:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,33549.0.html
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

squeakycheeker

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 22:47:38 »
thanks for all your replies - we seem to have entered some calmer waters for now and doing long days [nursing] gives me four days off a week...i have actually got some lottie time pencilled in for saturday so a flask of tea/sarnies and my neighbours petrol strimmer should have it at at least looking like somebody cares - i may even treat myself to a little bonfire.....  chris

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal