Author Topic: Runner Beans - Falling Flowers  (Read 1048 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Runner Beans - Falling Flowers
« on: August 03, 2007, 17:40:51 »
I've been having a wonderful crop of White Lady runner beans and the flowers set right from the outset. I've noticed in the last few days that it's not possible anymore to pick beans without the slightest movement making the flowers fall off. Any ideas why this is happening, and what I can do about it?
  Someone else also growing the same variety on the site is experiencing the same trouble.

Many thanks.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Runner Beans - Falling Flowers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 19:59:48 »
I think it means the flowers haven't been pollenated.  Have there been less insects around recently?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:50:38 »
No! Absolutely the reverse, never seen so many bees on beans in my life!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 11:20:17 »
I think I've also read that some bees make the flowers fall off but I can't remember why.  I'm sure someone will know.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 13:49:04 »
Bumble bees are known to bite their way into the bottom of the flower to get quick access to the nectar before the flower opens. This usually happens early in the season when there are few if any flowers already open. The effort now of biting a hole would be greater than just sucking from the open bloom.

My plot relies entirely on bumble bees for pollination without any problems. There does not seem to be any hive bees in the vicinity at all which is worrying.

Is it possible that the beans have suffered from lack of water? Yes I know, :o but conditions can change rapidly and we do get complacent.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 14:16:31 »
I would say excess heat or underwatering
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 16:52:05 »
Last year when we had the hot spell I seem to remember the flowers were falling off.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 22:04:49 »
Try misting them or spraying with a hose pipe if at home. This is ment to set the flowers. Evenings are best not in full sun. ;)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:42:02 »
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I gave them a good soak yesterday and also misted the foliage/flowers, hopefully it will help. On the plus side of White Lady, when Gardener's World said they were heavy croppers, they weren't wrong! They're stringless and very tasty too.  :)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 15:00:08 »
I remember Pipa Greenwood saying to water beans in the evening if possible but if not, do it anytime. It is better than none.  I remember bcause at the time I was working in the evenings and watered mid-day.  We still had a good crop.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal