Author Topic: Palustris.....news of Mytton please?  (Read 6924 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Palustris.....news of Mytton please?
« on: August 06, 2007, 17:42:25 »
I've been watching this forum with increasing anxiety, as I'm sure many of  us are...post when you can and give us what news there is, please?....

Many thanks.... :-*.....from one of many of Mytton's many many cyber-friends and fan club  and well-wishers... Lish x

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Palustris.....news of Mytton please?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 20:44:17 »
Now we are 82 quid poorer I can tell you that Mytton is still with us. Her kidneys are still functioning, but her potassium level is dangerously low. She has a heart murmur, but that is to be expected at her age. The Vet could find nothing obviously wrong with her, but without X rays it is difficult to know. The Vet would not X ray as she thinks Mytton is too weak to survive sedation. Mytton had a temperature of 102, high, but not immediately dangerous. She has had an injection of antibiotics to control any infection and to bring down the temp. She has potassium tablets and more antibiotics in tablet form. So fingers at risk again as it is me who has to get them down her throat!.
Best news of all is that she has manged to eat some Beef tea and mashed potato and keep it down. She is now sleeping under the Dining table and SNORING!
Gardening is the great leveller.

noname

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 20:48:33 »
Poor old Mytton. Is she still growling at the other two?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 20:51:25 »
brilliant, palustris, I'm so glad she's still here, we had to have both ours put to sleep 2 years ago ..she's a lovely cat..full of character..i had to get Kate's pills down her throat..I used to wrap her in a towel  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 21:00:19 »
Sorry I must have missed the original post when I was 'away' I ma so sorry to hear she has not been well but the news sound good now, a good snore is smashing, I think natures way of handling stuff if sleep. Thinking of you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 21:36:14 »
She has had her tablet and some more potato and beef tea and kept them both down, so far. So fingers crossed!
Mind, hard to know what to feed her tomorrow, we have no more gravy left! ::)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 21:56:58 »
Just more of the same and lots of TLC.  Cats are precious animals and need all the loving they can be given.  Our two gingeroos came into our lives 10 years ago today, via Cats' Protection, and they have had us wrapped roung their little fingers (do cats have fingers??) ever since.  It's hard to imagine life without them, but we know their time on this earth is so much shorter than ours and we have to enjoy every minute of their company.  :-* :-* :-*
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 21:59:06 »
well bloody make some then, Eric.!... LOL  You can't do the 'instant' gravy stuff cos it's gotta lotta salt in it....spect Tim'll have a recipe somewhere tho :D

Essential pills is difficult tho......if non-compliant, you're gonns have to inject?......Mytton looked skin'n'bones but it may be the best way to go? Tough love I know.....

All the v.v.v.v.v.v. best to youz-all....

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 08:41:09 »
I have no trouble getting pills into cats. I just stand on their necks and when they open their mouth to scream in goes the pill, no bother  ;D
Seriously, after giving our other cat, Hannibal, tablets on so many occasions, we have it down to a fine art. Anne holds the animal and I gently and quickly open the cats mouth, pill is flicked right to the back of its throat and the mouth closed and the throat rubbed. Food, or milk, is then given and the cats has been medicated.
Mytton has had ordinary cat food, mashed up with warm water to make a paste and so far has kept that down.  So far so good.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 09:14:48 »
One of ours is no problem - show him a pill and he thinks it's extra food. The other one is a different matter. He seems to know when it's going to happen, it takes three people and a towel, one to hold him, one to prise his jaws apart and the other to pop the pill.  It is something that doesn't happen too often, but we groan when we had to do it  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 09:46:50 »
 ;D

Great news! You can't keep a good cat down! I can imagine Mytton looking at the vet and muttering "come on if you think you're hard enough.."

;)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 09:47:23 »
palustris, I'm SO glad Mytton is still with you and eating and snoring – sounds like there's a bit of life left in the old girl yet, thank goodness :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 20:35:39 »
Great news eric, i'm so chuffed to read that she's still with you (and us!)  ;)

Do keep us updated on her progress - thinking of you & mytton  :-*
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 08:53:59 »
Everything crossed for her  :'(. 

When Sybil was ill the vet said I should do a mix of boiled chicken and rice as it was easy on the digestion.  It was the only thing she could manage for ages, so it may be worth a try.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 09:51:48 »
After a day and a half of keeping food down, she has now gone back to being ill after eating. Still running a temeperature, but at least she is keeping the tablets down.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 08:01:02 »
Sorry....went offline just after posting for news....back now and guess the first post I'm looking at?

Relieved to read that Mytton seems to be getting better, but poor poor Old Gal...pills in one end - and we all know how you take a cat's temp! ::)

Hope that today sees her getting better and stronger.

Lish

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 08:48:13 »
Try cooking some liver gently  till just done, beef is best for this ,then run it through the blender  eh   liquidiser I think you call it add some  water  to it and you will have a very tasty gravy you can then mix your potato with this. Or blend a bit if rice in it to a puree. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 09:34:51 »
Liver? Beef? Chicken?  The Vets bill was half a weeks income and she has another visit tomorrow. £40 just to walk through the door.
She is managing to keep down tinned cat food liquidised with a little water.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 09:51:30 »
Aaw Eric ...I'm so upset that Mytton is poorly.  My favourite photo gal.  Please give her a stroke from me.  I hope she gets better. Bless her.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 17:40:17 »
 ???

Just bringing this to the top, wanting to know of Mytton's progress?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal