Author Topic: re my brody hen  (Read 1531 times)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
re my brody hen
« on: July 30, 2007, 22:04:02 »
what do i do if my hens eggs hatch as she is still sitting on the remaining 6 eggs. do i have to get a special feed for them,they are do to hatch at the beginning aug trouble is we should be on holiday then
thanks
Pauline
 :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: re my brody hen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 22:42:04 »
Pauline

We feed ours on "golden chick crumbs", available from Scats.   Here is a guide that you may find useful:
http://www.poultryclub.org/ACHatch.htm

An extract from the rearing section shows:  "Chicks should be offered chick crumbs of 20-22% protein containing a coccidiostat. This chemical helps to control coccidiosis and build up an immunity to the parasite".

I know that your adult chickens must not have access to the chick crumbs for if they eat it, you will not be able to eat their eggs.

I hope you have a good neighbour who will be able to come in twice a day to give them fresh water and top up their food.

Paulines7

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 22:48:52 »
Thankyou ,
my son and daughter will be looking after them for us
Pauline

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 21:14:20 »
Get a plastic water feeder for them and broody makes life easier for your son and daughter, a large flatish container for chick crumbs is fine as broody will eat the crumbs as well and show the chicks how to eat and drink.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 18:13:34 »
Back from hols was lovely,
still only one chick its realy sweet!son got rid of other eggs as were not anygood
Pauline

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal