Author Topic: storing potatoes  (Read 6685 times)

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
storing potatoes
« on: August 04, 2007, 21:28:54 »
I'm chuffed to bits after lifting my Duke of york potatoes today and getting a great big bucket load from only 10 plants - much better than last year, when I got about 5  tiny potatoes.

So now I need to know how to go about storing them. For now I've put them into a wooden box I inherited on the lottie and covered with newspaper, putting in the coolest bit of the shed.

I have a cool cupboard under the stairs, would that be ok?
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: storing potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 21:34:21 »
A cool cupboard under the stairs is fine.

I get those papar sacks the potatoes come in from my local chippy,they only through them away.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 23:52:15 »
Leave your spuds out to dry for a few hours. I left mine for 2 days as the weather was good enough. It helps prevent them rotting. Hessian sacks are good for storing spuds too.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:30:57 »
OH is complaining as she is tripping over drying spuds all round the house!
 ::)

torquil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 10:41:03 »
    hi  leave potatoes to dry out for day or two. Find using papersacks from fish shop is good for storing. just ask they only throw them away

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 14:06:08 »
Can you still store potatoes if they've got slug holes in them or will they rot?
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 15:06:16 »
If they have dried they will store but are prone to other rots... best to use them up first... cook them off in meals that can be frozen...
 ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 17:51:42 »
Thanks Saddad  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:34:00 »
Not having a source of hessian or paper sacks, I am storing mine in cardboard boxes piled on top of each other. The main thing is to excude light but allow air to move in and out.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 09:40:19 »
Get round to your local chippy... mine were willing to give me a dozen paper sacks a day... every day... only disappointed when I didn't want any more!
 ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 09:54:54 »
Good idea - ours is only a few doors down the street. I do find stacking cardboard boxes very compact and convenient, though.... Is there any reason sacks would be better?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 10:02:07 »
Boxes are fine too...
 ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 13:20:22 »
This year, mine are in several separate Homebase brown paper bags inside a string bag hanging in the garage away from the direct light  from the only window. Sounds as if I need to give the a bit more protection from the light?

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 13:27:36 »
Light exclusion is a must, otherwise your spuds will all end up going green.

We kept our first harvest of Bambino and Kestrel in the large salad drawer at the bottom of the big fridge,(dark and cold) and have just yesterday finished them 8 weeks on. Only one of them had gone partly green in this time. Not suitable for a large harvest obviously, but on this occasion I had only dug about 20 lbs., which fitted in there comfortably.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 13:34:09 »
Normally when I dig up the potatoes I wash them, divide them into ones for now, ones for later and ones to chuck. Then I leave them to dry for a couple of days before storing them in paper sacks.

Yesterday one of our plot holders told me you shouldn't wash them as it encourages mould. Does it, or are they OK like that given that they get thoroughly dried before they go in the sacks?

I'm between a rock and a hardplace as far as storage is concerned. If I put them in the shed the mice and eventually the frost get them. If I put them in the cupboard under the stairs which is nice and dark but relatively warm they start sprouting after a bit.

Oh well my own fault for planting too many.

SurreySteve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 21:37:29 »
Just to let you all know, you can get hessian sacks from www.dobies.co.uk my grandfather got his seeds from them (before the internet) lol. They sell them in packs of 10.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 22:10:59 »
We store them in hessian sacks in the garage, but check them from time to time for bad bits.  We got our original sacks from Marshalls, I think, then got more from the potato fair at 50p each.  This year we are running out of space, we have three full sacks already, and 30 plants still to dig up!
The Tuscan Beaneater

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 22:20:00 »
The sacks are not the problem - I have loads. I use the paper ones rather than hessian because I hate the smell of the hessian ones. My problem is to do with how the potatoes are prepared for storage rather than in what.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 22:42:46 »
Yes, they need to be well dried. We don't wash them, my son is the potato man, and he always manages to dig them up on a fine hot sunny day, spreads them out on the patio in the sun.  I found two huge wire trays at the dump a couple of years ago, and they are invaluable for drying spuds, onions, garlic etc (tho the small ones slip through).  That way we can take them in at night and put them out again the next day. Lucky we have a south-facing patio. They are never caked in mud, and we just rinse them and cook them.
The Tuscan Beaneater

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 20:34:23 »
The shed's the best place... get a mouse trap... I dispose of 30+ a year...  :-X

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal