Author Topic: mackerel  (Read 1200 times)

debster

• Hectare
mackerel
« on: August 01, 2007, 21:12:30 »
anyone got any lovely recipes for mackerel OH managed to catch some last night and i love they will be plain not smoked for recipes please

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
Re: mackerel
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 21:23:13 »
The best mackerel I ever had was in South West Ireland, on a beautiful still day.  The skipper told us not to start fishing until the water was boiling (it was a galvanised bucket of sea water!!).  I tell you, the fish were in the bucket about 10 seconds after coming out of the sea, and eaten 10 minutes after that.  You can keep your trout and salmon!!

I like then simply baked.  Tuck some fresh herbs in the body cavity, and bit of butter and black pepper on the outside, then wrap in foil.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 21:27:12 »
I do a sort of hot soused type recipe. I did have it written down, but now I just sort of throw it together.

Fillet the mackeral, place in shallow dish, top with some thinly sliced red onion and then pour over the juice of half a lemon and half an orange and a slosh of white wine vinegar. Cook until done.The recipe then suggests adding a thingy of butter to the juices and reducing it down in a saucepan. [I haven't always done the last bit and have just poured the juice over the fish when serving.] It goes really well with saute potatoes.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 22:49:54 »
they both sound delicious we usally have them pan fried in a seasoned flour with balsamic vinegar but looking for some alternate ways thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 22:52:50 by debster »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal