Author Topic: Sick Peas  (Read 1641 times)

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
Sick Peas
« on: June 16, 2004, 12:29:10 »
My peas are not happy.  I grew them in modules and they flourished.  Grew to about 6'' and were perky as could be.  So I transplanted them into an 8 inch pot (limited space in the ground at the moment), about 6 plants and gave them sticks to grow up.   They grew for about 2 weeks and then started to go yellow at the bottom and the bottom leaves all dried up and died.  Tops still growing.  THEN funny little egg sacs appeared with holes in the top where something had climbed out but what?? I dug one pot out to try and find the culprit and have found some tiny pupae, reddish brown about 1/2 cm in length.  But there doesn't appear to be any damage to the roots etc. So my question is in 2 parts, what has upset the peas (compost???) and what are the invaders!! Thanks in advance for any help.

"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Sick Peas
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 13:00:02 »
I have found pea related pest info on pea moths, pea weevils or pea thrips, but do you think I can find any info on them at the moment, can I hell!  I will keep looking unless someone comes along in the meantime to tell us what the problem is.

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
Re:Sick Peas
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 16:18:13 »
Thanks EJ - I have checked my veg expert book and have not found what I have got in my pea pot... I thought maybe someone here would know - maybe it is not a pest at all but just an oportunist visitor and the peas are dying from something else.  It is all quite confusing to a newbie such as myself...
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal