Author Topic: Blight in Mid-Kent  (Read 1351 times)

amphibian

Blight in Mid-Kent
« on: July 30, 2007, 23:39:08 »
Nearly all my tomato and my entire potato crops lost to the worst blight I have ever seen. Wiped everything out in days.

Just one tomato plant of 60 still surviving.

All piled up for burning.

Bad year, all my onion, cukes and melons lost to mildew, my chillies and peppers loaded with green fly, tomatoes and potatoes wiped out by blight.

Only physallis doing well from my solanum crops.

Oh well, next year, hey!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Blight in Mid-Kent
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:59:02 »
I've actually seen worse blight, but nothing apart from the weeds is flourishing, potatoes are rotting in the ground (I don't think this is blight, just sodden soil and lack of aeration), and garlic is emerging with the skins rotted away.

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:49:23 »
I was talking to a local potato farmer at the farmer's market the other day, he says he has nearly all of this years spuds.

I just hope the seed producers are fairing better.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 11:18:57 »
Was down in Kent last w.e.  Younger bro said the Marsh (Romney) has been really badly hit by blight. His back garden toms in Folkestone have all gone as well.

Here in London, one of my tomatoes looked a bit suspect - have cut off everything that looked even vaguely unhealthy and will Bordeaux tonight. OH thinks I'm paranoid because we've never had blight but it has struck about 40yards up the street and they haven't disposed of the plants yet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal