Author Topic: Stalk on sweet peas  (Read 1759 times)

John_Verney

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Stalk on sweet peas
« on: June 16, 2004, 03:31:20 »
I am growing sweet peas for the first time this  year and the stalkwas a good length when they first flowered, Now some weeks later the stalk has reduced in length to about half what it was.  I wonder what I should do to get it back to its former length and what I have done wrong to allow this to shrink so much so as to avoid making the mistake again in future

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
Re:Stalk on sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 21:37:43 »
John sorry if you were hoping for a sensible reply to your question.  Truth is I don't know the answer, but I've got the same problem.  I've got some growing in a large container - they're the one's that have gone short, and some against a fence which have stalks a foot long with plenty of flowers up the stalk.  I know I had a couple of different varieties, but don't know which were which :-[  Hope a swwet pea grower stumbles by with an answer  :)
There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 01:54:34 »
It could be heat related.

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 22:17:05 »
My sweet pea stalks always shorten as time goes on. I always assumed it was just one of those things that happened, probably because of the plant losing vigour as it aged. Could try feeding I suppose, but I only grow them for the house so short stems aren't a problem - they still smell the same.

Sue

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal