Author Topic: Tomato Soup Alternatives please!  (Read 3448 times)

Palefire

• Half Acre
  • "Are we green?"    5th Element
Tomato Soup Alternatives please!
« on: September 29, 2003, 11:02:38 »
OK, good as it is, especially with Dottie's suggestion, I have to admit I am sick of tomato soup! Has anyone a recipe for passata or tomato puree (that can be frozen?) that they have tried and tested so that I can use the rest up in chilli, bolognese and lasagne etc? I don't really have the space to freeze whole tomatoes, but I can spare space for reduced volume in the form of a puree!

I'd be really grateful if you could share!!!

Love, Palefire

xxx
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:09 by -1 »
"You are going down a path that I cannot follow"

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Tomato Soup Alternatives please!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 19:07:53 »
Palefire it is not really as recipe as such, but one I make up, so no measurements I am afraid!!
Saute off some carrots, onions, garlic and celery in olive oil, let them sweat (phew!) ( You can use bacon too if a non vegey) with a lid on over a gentle heat for about 10 mins, without colouring them.
Add chopped tomatoes, (I never can be bothered to skin them meself!) and continue to cook with some water or even better stock, and a bayleaf, few mixed herbs etc.
Let this cook down for about an hour.(Keep checking so it doesn't dry out too much.) When cool remove bayleaf,  add some chopped basil, and you can either freeze like this and use in sauces, or wizz it up in a blender if you prefer a smooth sauce. Also handy frozen in ice cube trays if you want to lob a small amount into something.
Hope this helps
Dotty P. ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 19:48:43 »
Hiya,  :)

Moi, I just boil it down (don't skin) and when cold use it for the basis of Gaspacho soup.  Just chuck in some diced cucumber, loadsa crushed garlic, some olive oil, bit of capsicum maybe a hint of wine vinegar and serve really cold with ice cubes. (when making the cubes, put in the flower of Borage, and when the cube melts the delicate blue flower pops to the surface)

sea/rock salt and cayenne to taste.  crusty bread.....

*slurp*

Palefire

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 11:16:13 »
Thankyou both for the suggestions - I am still getting red toms from the greenhouse, despite the weather and the cucumbers recently set another flush because of some radiant weather last week. This is all in an unheated greenhouse aswell! I am keeping a close eye on them, though, cos we're not far off a frozen night now, surely.
I shall get cooking and then I shall have to start on the blanching of the runners. I seem to remember in the dim and distant past a thread about how you had to invest in more freezer space once you had got going with veggie growing!

Love Palefire

xxx
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:09 by -1 »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 22:18:40 »
know the feeling-take 20lb of toms,stick in a preserving pan and simmer.

Then pulp with one of those hand held blenders,pass through a coarse sieve and freeze until you can bear the sight of a tomato again, repeat as necessary.

Stephan.-I need a life not a tomato ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 19:20:10 »
good for a host of things, the ice-cube trick!

I even use it for dry white wine - never have an open bottle when I need it for a recipe. Same with fresh lime juice, coconut milk etc - Tim

Palefire

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 19:42:25 »
Good idea, Tim - I'd heard of using it for herbs, but as we have a coconut that's about to be cracked and I have no use for the milk at present (other than drinking it) I think I shall take you up on your idea!

Love Palefire
xxx

p.s. the tomatoes are going to be used up soon in the ideas above, so thank you once again everybody.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal