Author Topic: Advice needed about treating cats for fleas please....  (Read 3260 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Advice needed about treating cats for fleas please....
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:50:48 »
My three cats have been regularly treated with the 'drop on' Bob Martin anti- flea treatment, but despite this still have been plagued with fleas for the last month. I have been combing them with a metal flea comb every morning to monitor the situation, and am getting about 10 mature fleas off each cat!

They are obviously scratching a lot and fed up with this, and we have started getting a few bites too! I'm thinking we need to blitz them with something else, can anyone recommend anything specific please? First time we have had this problem, last year we had a completely flea free year despite the heat!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

silly billy

• Acre
Re: Advice needed about treating cats for fleas please....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:59:51 »
I always find shop brought treatments do not work very well.We always use frontline which is just a drop treatment and it always works 100%.It does cost abit more but you can buy it online for alot cheaper than the vets charge.I have used it on cats and my dogs.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:18:44 »
Agree with silly billy. I no longer have a cat but use frontline on my dog. Young Lorna uses it on her 2 cats and her dog. Maybe a bit more expensive than shop products but it does work. If you google you can get frontline cheaper than from your vet.
Lorna.

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:22:57 »
Costs more but we get vet to give ours a injection called Programme twice a year.  Keeps her clear.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 12:48:59 »
I've used both frontline and  both dog and cat have had the flea injection at the vets. 

I found the injection brilliant because it was done and dusted and the vet suffered the indignation of our pets.  ;)

I found frontline effective too. Easier to apply to the dog under her collar where her fur parts. The cat was a little bit more squirmy and needed two pairs of hands.

Injection...simple, effective but pricey. Frontline ,simple, effective, a bit cheaper but depends on how much the cat will co operate.  ::)  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 18:13:33 »
Thanks for that, will try the Frontline.. 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 18:43:22 »
We always use frontline, but had a newsletter through from the vets recently saying about the flea injection, how much more does it cost?
At the moment we pay about £28 for 6mths of frontline.
Cheers,
sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 18:44:51 »
Been using frontline for 10 years now and never had a flea.  The occasional tick falls off quickly too.
The Tuscan Beaneater

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 21:43:38 »
Another vote here for Frontline, it's excellent stuff.  We use it monthly on our cat, but it does take a well rehearsed routine to get it on her  ::)  One to hold her down and the other to squeeze it on her neck - wriggly little monkey that she is.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 23:15:29 »
I wish bob martin products would be banned - the wormer and flea treatment is not worth the cardboard it is packaged in!

I would say go to vets as they have the latest stuff available - frontline has always worked well on our animals.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 13:45:34 »
When we were infested years ago we had to treat the house too - so maybe the problem is that there are eggs in the carpet, reinfesting your kitty.

The vet will advise best on what you'll need to get.  The drop on the back of the neck is a god-send.

Alison

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 15:58:43 »
i hate putting it on the cat tho. it seems the spot i put it on is in a different place when the cat moves bob was quite sick once cuz he managed to lick some  :-[
i agree about treating the house as well. i was forced to do some housework
yesterday :o i think maybe they drop off the cat after they have been treated
thanks for the tip about looking online
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 17:00:37 »
Fleas don't lay their eggs on the animal - they lay them in nice cosy places like carpets, bedding, etc.  So you need loads of spray to spray all the nooks and crannies in the house.  The vet will sell you the stuff, expensive and stinks but it's the only way. Then keep up with the frontline or whatever else you use.

I believe the Bob Martins commercial stuff isn't strong enough to do the job properly. If it was it wouldn't be sold over the counter.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 17:50:02 »
Another vote for Frontline.

It's easier putting it on dogs, of course. They actually enjoy it because they know they'll get a biscuit afterwards. (The cats get a reward too, but are a bit less enthusiastic; we find gloves useful!)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 19:49:53 »
Luckily we don't have much carpet in the house! My daughter seems to be suffering the most, the boys all sleep in her room which has a wooden floor but a nice thick rug.....
I've been looking online and this new Skoosh spray that is non insecticidal and kills all stages of the fleas lifecycle looks good...anyone tried that?

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 16:05:12 »
We use Stronghold on both the cat and the two dogs as it's also effective for ticks (a growing problem).  We get it from the vet but it's worth it.  All the animals are on a VIP scheme with the vet.  We pay monthly and it includes all the vaccinations, stronghold and 6 monthly checkups.   It's been worth it especially as fleas (or any biting insect) see me and go "LUNCH".

If your cat or dog has fleas there is an injection that the vet can give which kills them almost instantly.  They use it for strays etc, quick jab, stand dog in corner and watch the fleas drop off.

All the best

Steve

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 03:52:17 »
Frontline - it costs me £26 for 6 months worth from the vet but it's by far the best stuff going.   A also bought a carpet & fabric spray from the vets which I use after vacuuming up.  I can't remember the name of the spray but it cost £13 & is a very large can with a yellow lid and should last me a year.

It might seem expensive but the relief it give the cat & us humans is well worth it.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 11:22:03 »
We use Frontline but recently had an outbreak (having missed a few months). Frontline wasn't up to treating an infestation (which it sounds like you have). Had to spray whole house with "Indorex" which was an astonishing £25 or so but did the job perfectly.

As has been said, the vet may not be the cheapest but he/she will solve your problem.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 11:35:27 »
I have 2 cats, one goes out a lot and the other doesn't and we never have a problem with fleas (touch wood).

every 6 months or so we spray the house with a spray from the vets and it avoids all of the unpleasantness of trying to get the cat to sit still whilst you part the fur etc.

we once used a tablet product for killing them, but I think that once it was in the cats bloodstream and the fleas were biting that they may have bitten more in their death throws because the cat started to jump around as if she was being given little electric shocks, so got rid of that product quick!

we use Nuvan Staykill and it's great - it has a yellow lid so may be the one that Carrot Cruncher mentioned.  Never had a flea problem in years!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal