Author Topic: I've got a rusty leek  (Read 2546 times)

fred

• Not So New ...
  • I twart I taw a wunner bean
I've got a rusty leek
« on: June 15, 2004, 21:14:53 »
I was given some garlic by a plot holder that has developed rust and it has spread to my top quality garlic and has now made it to the leeks

Should I panic and pull them all up or relax ???

The plot holder who gave me the garlic does not seem to worry that his garlic is also infected

Is he right to play it cool 8)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:I've got a rusty leek
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 21:39:00 »
Rust is just a cosmetic problem - at least it has been for me;  doesn't affect the eating quality, or (I think?) the growth (but I've always had rust quite a bit later in the year).

All best - Gavin

fred

• Not So New ...
  • I twart I taw a wunner bean
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 22:22:40 »
Thank you Gavin

I feel much better now and will put the match down and step away from the bonfire

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 22:34:41 »
Welllllllllllllllllllll, I have terrible rust on my garlics  >:(, and did a sample dig and it did seem to only be cosmetic, however, on one row inparticular, it has gotten so bad that the plants were begining to get really sick and some had keeled over.  Today I dug them up, they are okay, not huge, but fine for us, and the rust does stop at soil level.  My onions are all totally unaffected.

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 22:34:57 »
I recieved the same advice today also.

I noticed my garlic has also now got rust and was told not to worry by one of the more knowledgeable lottie owners.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 23:26:29 »
It nagged me that I'd read something somewhere that rust can be more serious than cosmetic.

http://www.hdra.org.uk/todo_now/faqs_topic.php?id=19 - "does not usually ....... etc"

and

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1100/leek_rust.asp - severe infections --------- yuk!

All best - Gavin

PS Groundsel is a prime carrier of rust - worth keeping your onion/leek/garlic beds clean of it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal