Author Topic: Alcoholic Green-gages?  (Read 2789 times)

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
Alcoholic Green-gages?
« on: July 23, 2007, 20:56:19 »
All these descriptions of sloe-gin are making my mouth water!

I have a tree full of greengages on my old lottie, coming along nicely. Even after a feast of fresh, and a pile in the freezer, there :P :P will still be lots.

Any offers for a spirit based concoction? :P
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Re: Alcoholic Green-gages?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 14:10:36 »
My friend made Damson Vodka last year - washed and pricked the damsons and then covered them in vodka, I am sure you can do soemthing similar with greengages.

I am sure you could use them to make wine but they may not have enough flavour on their own to make a good wine, maybe if you used them with something else but I am not sure what.

Personally I would just stuff as many of them as possible in my fat face while they are frsh and ripe (and make sure I had extra toilet rolls available  ;) )

Enjoy

Helen

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 15:12:49 »
I have done damson, plum, sloe and bullace gins and vodkas.  Afraid I don't make my own wine, but this is a challenge I have set myself for next year!  ;D  I fill my huge kilners with fruit, as much as I like, cover with chosen booze, shake daily for a while, then weekly, then forget about it until I am ready to bottle, around Christmas time.  I then make a sugar syrup and add little by little, testing as I go.  A tough job but someone has to do it!  I don't like my drinkies to sweet.  The damson is prefered by my family to the sloe.  Me, I loves them all.  ;D

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 00:29:01 »
Not greengages, but -

Last year I was given a lot of mirabelles, small yellow plums, and they made a wonderful drink using white rum.  I only made one bottle and it's long gone!  I used a small amount of sugar, I think 2 oz, to begin, and added a bit more later as it was a tad tart for our taste.

So may be worth the experiment with your greengages?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:22:27 »
I'm going to follow this thread with interest, as I only discovered yesterday that the tree at the back of my plot which I thought was a damson turns out to be a Greengage.. 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal