Author Topic: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - Wales  (Read 59023 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Where exactly is your allotment? - Region - Wales
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 21:33:40 »
Sounds very intellectual ;D How many years to go?

Glamorgan got a bit of bad press the other day over their Science Fiction BA course. Must admit I cant think of an application for that particular discipline ::)

I was going to top up my HND Photography and Digital Imaging at Newport. They've got marvellous facillities. Just struggling with motivation for it at the mo, so will probably delay it ANOTHER year!

I did my HND in Risca college, where I was the second oldest and felt like grandma!!!

cj :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 12:03:39 »
Just about to do my 2nd year. I'm enjoying most of the course, but fed up of feeling like an alien with 2 heads - you would not believe the funny looks I get from the younger students! I'm 34 I'm not dead yet!!!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 13:04:34 »
Well, I wish I was 34, I'm 43!!!!

The youngsters on my course were pretty friendly. I got used to the F word being used as punctuation after a while ::) I used to joke that in 20 years time , when they were at the height of their careers, I would be shopping around for the cheapest incontinence pads!!!!

Scary thought eh? ;D ;D ;D

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 14:42:01 »

Have you still, got the accent?

Nope, in fact I'm not sure I ever had an accent despite being bilingual! 

I'm ashamed to say that I've never watched the rugby, but then I don't tend to watch much sport at all. 

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 18:46:47 »
I've never watched the rugby

Then you've been spared lots of frustration ;)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 08:27:21 »
Hell yeah to the rugby! Well if it wasn't for this allotment lark, I'd be climbing the walls to get back to uni, but as it is I need more time to dig and strim!  :D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

benji26

• Not So New ...
  • mummy first, sam second
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 19:36:24 »
Hi All

A fellow Welshie here - im in good old Port Talbot trying to find an allotment - anyone got any ideas??? Plus im learning welsh too because although i live here im not bred here but my little one is and is going to be speaking more welsh than me soon so i need to get learning quick!

God made rainy days, so gardeners could get the housework done.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 22:12:30 »
Benji,

dont look at me. I got a welsh O level nearly 30 years ago, and can only remember

Rydw i'n hoffi coffi ( I like coffee) and wy wedi berwi( boiled egg)

Good luck on the lottie search. I'm not near Port Talbot, so cant help, sorry.

So all in all, I'm no use for anything. I'll go sulk now :-\

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 23:16:31 »
Does having a garden rather than an allotment count? I am in S E Monmouthshire.
Ages ago did Agricultural Botany at Aberystwyth and Bangor and then forced to 'emigrate' for work. After 35 years of living and working over the border I moved back. Just started a Welsh course.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 07:38:03 »
Does having a garden rather than an allotment count?

Dont see why not ;D Tell us a bit about your garden. What do you grow? Do you have a pic of your garden we can see?

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 23:09:07 »
Garden basically completely south facing and in full sun virtually all day. Small bit at front in shade and full of early spring bulbs for colour. It then becomes green as primarily the plants are grown for foliage, a tree fern in a pot, Alocasia (elephants ear) in a pot 40 Hostas in pots and about 20 hardy ferns plus some other foliage plants. South facing part has hebaceous flower borders crammed full, the regulation lawn which is gradually getting smaller as the borders get larger, a wildlife pond, a fruit area, a veg area and a cold GH used mainly for tomatoes, chillies, cucumbers, and peppers and for overwintering some of the less frost hardy plants . Self sufficient in veg all the year from the garden or the freezer. Excess fruit used to make jam. Panoramic view over open fields, the river Severn and the two bridges and Avonmouth beyond. Height about 600 feet above SL.
Several nest boxes positioned around and this year occupied by blue and great tits, and a robin. Two years ago nuthatches took up residence, hoping for an owl or jackdaw in one at some stage. Birds fed all the year round and usually masses all year. I think the Sparrow Hawk has frightened them away at the moment but hopefully they will return when food gets scarce.
I also have a hive of bees.  
If I knew how to post a picture I would try.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 07:48:45 »
Wow, your garden souds amazing!

There are 2 ways (at least ) to post pics.

1. If you pay a £10 subscription to A4A you will get an extra button to make this quite simple to do.

2. Join www.imageshack.com or www.photobucket.com and upload pics on there. Then, when you send a post on A4A, there is a group of small boxes above the box you type in. You will need to click on the box with a photo in it. Then copy and paste the html name of the pic from photobucket between the  (img ) (img) thingys. When you send your post, the image shoould appear.

I'm not very good at explaining things, so if it doesnt work, maybe someone else will be able to put it better.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 14:59:13 »
I use www.photobucket.com too, but I just click on the IMG Code (with your mouse, copy the code) under the photo saved in Photobucket then paste into your A4A reply window.  ;D
I don't bother with the *Insert Image* thingie on the tag line above your reply window on A4A, I just do the above.
Good Luck, can't wait to see the garden pics  :)

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 21:14:11 »
Looks like I'm in a minority here, my allotment is on the marvelous Isle of Anglesey. At sea level, south facing with a castle next door. Now I know what I spent years waiting for!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 21:23:54 »
Wow,pjb, sounds like your lottie is like a great day out!!Is it near your home?

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2007, 09:56:51 »
Wow,pjb, sounds like your lottie is like a great day out!!Is it near your home?

10 mins from home, we're very lucky!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2007, 10:46:21 »
Is there a microclimate on Anglesey? I Always Imagine it being milder there.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2007, 11:31:14 »
I used to go to Anglesey on holiday every year as a child, we used to stay close to Beaumaris. Love the place but haven't visited for a while now.

Just wanted to say well done you folk that are making the effort to learn Welsh, or maybe I should say 'Da iawn chi sy'n dysgu Cymraeg, pop lwc hefo fo'.

SP x

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 20:39:07 »
Is there a microclimate on Anglesey? I Always Imagine it being milder there.

Yes I believe so, winters are pretty mild, we're more or less at sea level so not much snow or hard frost, quite nice really.

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 20:44:30 »
I used to go to Anglesey on holiday every year as a child, we used to stay close to Beaumaris. Love the place but haven't visited for a while now.

Just wanted to say well done you folk that are making the effort to learn Welsh, or maybe I should say 'Da iawn chi sy'n dysgu Cymraeg, pop lwc hefo fo'.

SP x

Then you'll be familiar with Beaumaris castle, the allotments are right next door (after the moat that is :D ) a perfect setting. Your Welsh is better than mine, but my kids are fluent.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal