Author Topic: Winemaking..........what type of yeast!!??  (Read 2512 times)

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
Winemaking..........what type of yeast!!??
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:04:50 »
I am about to give the old winemaking a go and my first attempt is going to be Elderberry wine.

My experience is VERY limited as I used help make it at home years ago but my parents havent made it since.

Dad reckoned I should go for a high-alcohol tolerant yeast for the wine but wasnt sure.

So, what Im asking I suppose is.......

1) Typically, what type/brand of yeast should I use?
2) Without wanting to run the car on it, will a high alc tolerant yeast cover me on all wines or does it under perform on low alc content wines?

Many thanks!

Killerflies.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Re: Winemaking..........what type of yeast!!??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:25:46 »
From memory, either a Tokai (Tokay?) or Madeira type seemed to be the most frequently recommended in my distant wine-making days. I'm sure a search will soon have you totally lost in a sea of conflicting advice.  ;D I still have the books somewhere and if you like, I'll do a spot of reading up.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

killerflies

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 14:42:55 »
Thanks Geoff,

Ive done a bit of calling around and the most of the "experts" say that any red wine yeast will do. And so, that just what I bought!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 21:27:51 »
I wish you luck. It's very rewarding, if a bit time consuming.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

inski

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 21:37:04 »
Hi

I've not made any for a good few years, but try experimenting with different yeasts as they will affect how the finished wine tastes. Also elderberries are very high in tannin and so the finished wine really needs storing for a couple of years to reduce the effects of the tannin. If you cant wait that long try making elderberry and blackberry in a 50/50 ratio, it will be ready to drink a lot sooner.

Good luck and enjoy

killerflies

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:57:23 »
Excellent!

Ill have to remember that. I knew that it had to sit for a while but I thought that it was 6 months to a year as opposed to years.

You live and learn!

RE the mix of Elderberry and Blackberry, do you mean mix and process the berries together or combine the finished wine 50/50??

Cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal