« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 16:43:18 »
Oh dear, not another one! :(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Flood
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 18:03:53 »
I'm so sorry to hear about what is happening "down south". On the radio they were saying that same places are covered with up to 8 feet of water. :o :o

It must be totally devastating. Lotties are bad enough but for so many folk it's their homes. But they still keep building on flood plains as though it wasn't an issue.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 19:03:41 »
Second flood this year on my plot. First one was three feet deep, this time is only about a foot, so I should be grateful I guess.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 20:35:36 »
Just hope they can keep the water out of the sub station or we will be without water and electric!
Our water went about an hour ago!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 23:09:13 »
I saw cars on Friday under water up to their tops, a sight I never thought I would see in East Sussex! Poor commuters when they get off the train and open the door! :(
My plot is not flooded, but VERY wet.
OldMan, I feel for you an the others that are flooded.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 09:47:01 »

:(lots of our plots are under water.... again :( almost all of them are dead from the last flood

rivers dangerously high.... again,

pouring down here..... again

keep safe everyone / shades x
grow your own way

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 16:09:50 »
Water hasn't gone down since Saturday at 2pm when it reached it's peak.  Churn still flowing too high.  Sewage starting to back up as the drains can't cope any more.

Left London 13:00 Friday, got home 12:30 Saturday and found my 1 week old (brand spanking new) shed has decided to migrate across the site!

Found an old girl at our site in floods of tears as her allotment is trashed again.

Why am I moaning when the poor buggers in Hull and Tewkesbury are suffering?

Swampy
Jack's in the Green.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 16:14:40 »
...everyone has different breaking points, you dont know how much other damange you fellow allotment holder has suffered or other people who she knows who are struggeling.

Keep your chin up :-)

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 16:24:29 »
Just hope they can keep the water out of the sub station or we will be without water and electric!
Our water went about an hour ago!

Lost the battle for the sub-station at 02:30.  If you don't reply to this I will assume that you are without power.

My wonderful woman is up and down the street asking if the old 'uns are OK.  Unfortuneatly the 4x4 brigade have bought all the friggin' bottled water for their holiday homes before they buggered off back to London!
Jack's in the Green.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 16:37:10 »
sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you on this.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 02:45:49 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 08:33:39 »
We  are so sorry to hear your terrible news,it has missed us this time in Hull but we are truly mourning with you as if you were our close neighbours,

There are no words of comfort I can offer you except my heart is going out to you all in the south now, we are all one British family ,all neighbours really so we send you our love and hugs.

XX Jeannine and John
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 12:15:41 »
It is all so sad, people losing their entire crops that they have worked so hard on. Even worse poor people who's houses are flooded. May you soon see a light at the end of the tunnel. Watching the news last night I was so amazed at the positive attitude of people who are in the midst of all the chaos.
Please stay safe people.
Lorna.

Oldmanofthewoods

• Half Acre
  • Summer's Here!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 12:43:00 »
Water draining off now into the Severn one way and down the Thames on the other.  Some poor sod is going to cop it when this lot gets to where it's going.

Good luck South East - on it's way.

Jack's in the Green.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 14:03:34 »
Jack, where are you in the country? I don't know where the kingdom of the pig is!! It really is unbelievable what's happening. Apparently, according to my American friend it hasn't (or hadn't) made the US news. Nice to know they give a s*it isn't it?
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 14:41:29 »
Emmy the news in the States is quite parochial. They tend to focus on American news. Europe only occasionally gets a mention.

The Motley Fool website had some advice for victims of floods today some of which I thought was quite useful:http://www.fool.co.uk/news/your-money/insurance/2007/07/23/when-trouble-comes-flooding-in.aspx?source=ioowftxt0010011

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 14:53:24 »

oggiesnr

• Not So New ...
    • namejigsaws.com
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 15:29:37 »
Best of luck down there.

Serious piece of advice.  If you get your hands wet YOU MUST CLEAN THEM.  If not and you're unlucky you get a bad tummy, if you're really unlucky you get Weill's Desease which can be fatal.  If you've lost your water supply get some baby wipes, alcohol gel or similar.  In all seriousness we've had bad tummies and suspected Weill's up here in Hull.

Keep safe

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal