Author Topic: WILD BUMBLEY BEES  (Read 1301 times)

Rohaise

WILD BUMBLEY BEES
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:13:27 »
 I have just discovered a little hole down in amongst the grass , at the foot of our massive old pine tree , from out of which are flying like bullets , furry bumbley bees !
   (yes like the one that stung me the other week !)  ..but NO  , I dont want to get rid of them , they are welcome here ,I will just be careful to keep the dogs away from here  and leave them in peace .
      Can our Bee experts tell me are they likely to stay ,or move on ...if they stay ,  will the nest or site get much bigger.   If it does I will have to put some kind of a barrier around it ,to prevent visitors wandering over it unknowingly .  (as I think I must ,ve done ! those stings are only just beginning to fade now ! )
                     Wildlife is fascinating !

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: WILD BUMBLEY BEES
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 13:37:34 »
We get a few in a sub wall behind the toilet block...
 ;D

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 15:16:03 »
Rohaise,
You were indeed unfortunate that you were stung.
Most varieties don't.
 :(
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 17:51:19 »
They rarely sting unless you disturb the nest itself. They'll stay put until the end of the season, unless something eats them meanwhile, and then die out.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 22:44:28 »
Rohaise, you are sooo lucky having bumblies in your garden. 

I have had them in my back garden for the last few years, in an open compost (grass clippings) heap, under the shed, but this year nothing  :'(

They really won't harm you unless they think you are going to threaten the hive.

If you can find out what type they are the bumble bee people would like to know more as they are sadly in rapid decline and heading for extinction in this country.  The gardening mag 'Grow Your Own' did a 2-pager about them in the July issue too.

Try this link:  http://www.bumblebeeconservationtrust.co.uk/bumblebees_id.htm
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal