Author Topic: Wine Making Virgin!!!  (Read 1826 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Wine Making Virgin!!!
« on: July 21, 2007, 07:42:35 »
Hi all,
Well, got all the wine making gear from a trip to the uk, the only things I haven't got is demijohns, can I get away without using these? what would you use instead?

Also have you got a beginners recipie for grapes, from my marmalade experience (took me a while :-\), it needs to be an easy one!!!

Thanks in advance

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Wine Making Virgin!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 08:09:41 »
Hello,

I found it really difficult to get second hand demijohns so improvised at first.

If you buy a 5 litre bottle of water, you can use a drill or hot nail to make a hole in the lid big enought o fit the airlock in. I put a bit of bluetack around the join, to make sure it was a good seal.

You can then use it like a demi john. Ih has some advantages, as it is much lighter, less fragile and much cheaper. If you really get into wine making it is a really cheap and convenient thing to get hold of as many as you want.

One small disadvantage is that some of the sediment can get stuck on the ridges as it settles to the bottom when the wine starts to clear. To overcome ths, simply tap the sides of the bottle every week.

I have never made grape wine, as I heard it is very difficult to make a good one, so I cant hep there. I started making wine last summer. It is great fun and an excellent way to use up any gluts or supermarkt reductions. The ribena wine I started last year is tasting quite nice now, but I am going to resist it for another year.

I also have some mead in demijohns. That is tasting good but needs another year too. I would reccomend you make something that matures quickly at first , so you have something to be drinking sooner rather than later. My first wine was from a kit that was ready in 2 weeks. It wasnt so much fun to make, but was certainly fun to drink after such a short time ;D ;D ;D

If you cant find a particular recipe, give me a shout and I'll check if I  have it.

Good luck with the wine making and have fun!

cj :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:21:30 »
Water bottles!! Brilliant idea Caroline, thanks! I'll give it a go  ;D Got to be grapes, we've got vines galore and loads went to waste last year!! I'm so excited about my new project........... any more tips out there??

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 08:24:43 »
Got to be grapes, we've got vines galore

Well, if you need anyone to tread them for you, give me a shout ;D ;D ;D ;D

Promise to wash my feet first ::)

cj :)

Biscombe

• Hectare