Author Topic: How Disheartened Are You  (Read 3960 times)

bison1947

• Quarter Acre
How Disheartened Are You
« on: July 20, 2007, 22:36:09 »
Well this is our second full year on the plot & last year more
or less everythig we grew was a great sucsess but this year
so much has gone wrong due i think to the weather.
Spuds had Blight , Garlic not bulbing up , Peas dying after a few
pickings ,Shallots not to good and to top it all half the plot crawling
with marestail.
Although we are getting some good results

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,33610.0.html

Still a little disapointed but then maybe am i expecting to much
i think reality has hit me this season that dont expect the same every season

Bill....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: How Disheartened Are You
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 22:49:34 »
Every year will be different.  Different challenges thanks to the weather, pests or diseases.  Some years, for no apparent reason, some crops will fail.  Seeds refuse to germinate or vandals trash the lot.  But this is the challenge, and joy of being an allotmenteer.  Us hardened growers of fruit, veg, herbs and flowers, we learn to take the good with the bad.  So my tomatos have blight, but I have never had such a supperb crop of french beans!  And my rhubarb, I could use one stem as a golfing umbrella they have grown so vast!  Every year, I say to my darling, 'that's it, this is the last year I battle on' and every year I come home with a joyful smile on my face and a bag of goodies, then moan like hell about all the things being eaten, diseased or vanishing.  Take the downs with a pinch of salt, rejoice in your successes!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 22:51:52 »
Wow EJ ever thought of being a politician ...?

Derek :D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

lottiewood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 22:52:17 »
Wow!!! From the foto...it looks like you're doing ok though. This is our 1st year..didn't get plot till late april, so ..so far...only a few tatoes..a few carrots,onions,beetroots. Not enough of anything to make a fully home grown meal yet! Try not to be to disheartened. :)

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 13:43:27 »
I'm not disheartened - we've had a few Raspberries, a few Broadies and just started on some spuds! But that's it so far this year, but then I think of people who have lost their whole crops in the flooding, (and those that have lost alot more), and I think........mmmmmmmmmmm a single home grown raspberry, with a dollop of ice-cream (Homemade) how lucky am I!!! :D
Kathi :-)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 16:44:35 »
To answer your bison....I am extremely disheartened. Like you this is my second full year ( a lone female of mature years) and yesterdays rain brought the third flood. Not much left growing now apart from some sweet corn , but that has been rather flattened by the wind from yesterday. On the postive side, have several plant pots on a table on the plot in which I set some bean seeds and some spinach seeds a couple of weeks a go, they should fill up some of the space if/ when the waters go down. At least it isn't my house, but it is heart breaking and several tears have been shed over it I can tell you.    Will the sun be shining at christmas do you think?
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 16:53:47 »
Not me, I am not disheartened, I think gardening is a bit feast and famine anyway so we rejoice when some stuff is scarce and we find a little that we didn't think we had.

I think the hardest thing for me is all the physical work John has struggled to do, plodding on day after day and it has all gone to waste,that does make me sad.

Still, looking forward to next year, and compared to all the distress I am surrounded by in Hull I feel quite fortunate really.

Hang in there,  another year is just around the corner,a good frost, followed by a nice Spring sunshine and it will all be history ,we will be refreshed and ready to go again next time.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 17:03:32 »
Despite all of the setbacks I`m still chirpy. My soil is so free draining it`s nice to see it moist. The biggest let down are the herbs-basil is rubbish,and most about everything has been slug damaged.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 17:55:56 »
Everything's going wrong for me at the moment; the latest is another flood yesterday. But for the long term, I'm not discouraged at all. Next year will bring different problems, but at least I'll have got settled into my job, and be organised again.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 18:21:47 »
Don't think I'm ever settled or organised Robert but despite the blight and things I've still got lots growing well..
 8)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 18:31:46 »
As of today my dahlias are 6 inches under water ! but we are not, but the Wye has now burst it's banks.

powerspade

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 07:55:20 »
I may plant rice next year

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:57:39 »
If global warming continues I have my eyes on Ginger and Water Chesnuts!!!
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 10:01:22 »
Hey Saddad , I grow ginger now!!
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 10:23:05 »
I'm not disheartened, but am a llittle sad that this will be my last year for a while and it's been a dissapointing one.  We will be moving house in June next year, so there is no point in me even starting anything off next spring. :(
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 14:45:39 »
Jeannine, how do you grow ginger?

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 15:04:10 »
Not disheartened but find that the weather has affected most vegetables.  It is as if they are waiting for better weather.  Plants are growing but not much and no fruit/root/head growing. My best crop has been lettuce and in truth I did not plant those.  The seeds were from the compost heap.

My onions are the best they have ever been (Wilko's last minute job).  My broad beans were good for about three weeks then they turned brown and the small pods did not develop.

We still have September  ::)

Bill Door

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 15:31:54 »
Ginger. I buy a fresh root from the supermarket and plant it in a large pot, it will grow into quite a good houseplant, I use the green shoots rather like using chives however you can grow it on and harvest the rhizomes later. If you grow into a big plant it is a perennial ,grows to 4 feet,they are tender but will grow well in a conservatory. I would grow this in a tub.Rhizomes will be ready after about 10 minths if it grows and matures well. XX Jeannine

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 15:57:12 »
Thanks Jeannine, will buy some tomorrow...lol    Is this the same as the 'ginger lily'?  or is that a totally different plant? I confess that I grow very few flowers apart from the wild ones

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 16:16:00 »
The only reason I am slightly disheartened is that I haven't been able to do as much on the lotties as I usually do. After stressful days at work I usually find my hour on the lottie in the evening saves my sanity and gets me in a god mood for the next day. It also has the added bonus that through the summer I lose weight with the amount of physical work I do working the soil etc.

This year - my stress levels are a little higher and I have retained my winter pudding layer - but the sun shone today and I managed to have a potter around so spirits lifted. Back out again in a couple of minutes - I only came back for a cup of tea.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal