Author Topic: Cockerel with broken wing  (Read 2236 times)

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
Cockerel with broken wing
« on: July 18, 2007, 15:41:17 »
Unfortunately my 12 year old daughter dropped the cockerel this morning and we think that he has a broken wing.

What do i do ???

My mum said  " At the moment he is living on a wing and a prayer " !!!
Live for today

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Cockerel with broken wing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 19:04:53 »
Oh your mum,
 IMHO is more likely a sprain than a break, if hes eating and drinking ok just holding his wing down try micropore tape to fix the wing against the body to support it.
Can you feel a break along the wing bones?
Some peps say put in a sick pen ( alone) but if he is fine with the others perhaps just put him seperate tonight when they are going to sleep and let him rejoin them tomorrow.
I have had hens sick and put alone and they have just pined for the others so lost them anyway. Now I leave them together unless getting picked on.
let us know how he is tomorrow.

broad beannie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 11:35:00 »
Thanks Teresa
He seems completely normal in himself and the girls aren't taking any notice of him. When hubby strapped his wing up he stayed indoors for an hour ........ I think he thought everyone was going to laugh at him !!!
Will keep you posted if there is any change
Live for today

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 23:27:23 »
Just to support the wing will give it a chance to heal.
If you redo it in a couple of days just to see how he holds the wing and he can preen himself. Then redo it, untill he can flap it about ok no idea how long it will take sorry.

alan42

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 13:55:19 »
you do know that it is a criminal offence not to seek expert medical help for an injured animal don't you  and to let it suffer ?
mam i broke my arm , don't worry darling i have some selotape here, i think not it would be straight to the hospital, but then again a hospital is free a vet costs money so whip out the selotape. let the chicken suffer i am not paying for a vet.
Middlesbrough, non organic.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 15:29:46 »
alan42
What do you know about chickens?

wildthing

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 22:44:20 »
Most vets know diddly squat about chickens, and I do live in a rural area. We have 2 classes of vets here. Large animal vets for farm animals, and domestic pet vets. The first type tells you to wring the necks of sick or injured birds. The 2nd type doesn't have a clue.
Birds bones are very brittle, and rarely mend. [I was a qualified veterinary nurse prior to retirement].  We clipped the feathers and used a strip of plain plaster in a "figure of eight" if it was near the wing joint, and applied a plastic splint if it was on the straight section of bone. Again using plain sticking plaster to secure it. The straight bones ocassionally healed. The broken joints more often than not became rigid. This didn't seem to bother the birds at all, though we kept them away from other birds to stop them being bullied. The vet I worked with had some success with inserting a wire inside a broken straight bone, which was left in permanently. Do not try this at home.  :D

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 22:57:11 »
you do know that it is a criminal offence not to seek expert medical help for an injured animal don't you  and to let it suffer ?
mam i broke my arm , don't worry darling i have some selotape here, i think not it would be straight to the hospital, but then again a hospital is free a vet costs money so whip out the selotape. let the chicken suffer i am not paying for a vet.

Bit harsh Alan, she only asked for advice  :o
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal