Author Topic: brody hen  (Read 2434 times)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
brody hen
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:57:10 »
have a hen that we think has gone brody, but is a hybrid will she sit on eggs she sems to change nest boxes, think  there is allways some eggs under her  but i take them out and she creats like mad!
Pauline :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: brody hen
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 13:01:17 »
Does she fluff herself up when you see her, and make noises? then yes shes broody. Changing boxes she cannot make her mind up which one to use. Do you want chicks? if not you have to keep her away from the nesting aera for a few days in the cool.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 21:52:28 »
have put her in run on her own now,  with 9 eggs under her, shes still sitting
pauline  :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 23:38:29 »
Oh fingers crossed for you, what are you trying to hatch, I love chicks  ;D

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 23:56:06 »
well we thought that as georgy porgy has been with all the girls ! some eggs might be fertile,they are a bit of a mixer.or do you think that we should get some other eggs as hens are all hybrids ones in my pic at side
Pauline  :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 00:21:32 »
Go for it with GP I had a Xbreed silki boy and the chicks I got were a strong mixed and lay good and not one wants to sit.
My Toots in my pic was a laying machine and him gave me lovely girls oh and some boys. Both have passed on but the chicks are hens in the second/third year now and doing well not one ill. Says it all for Xbreeds?

Beetroot

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 00:54:34 »
Hopefully you'll get a nice mix of chicks and they are usually strong if they're  hybrids. The problem is, of course, what to do if you get a few cockerels? They are cute until a few months of age but then the fighting WILL start in earnest. Believe me, we've had it here, even with gorgeous little Silkies and Bantams. Very distressing to witness! If you're going to let your broody try to hatch them, make sure that you have decided beforehand what will happen to any males.

Philbasford

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 21:17:20 »
ours is right broody, when we chuck her out the nest and shut the nest box up she will just sit on the lawn instead!

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 23:43:48 »
she is still sitting tight hasnt moved from her new nest box,the others were all being noisy when i got there this morning all along the edge of the new run ( she is in the fruit cage ,have picked all the fruit by the way.
how long will it take to hatch the eggs if they are anygood!
Pauline
ps am away till late sunday night ,doing display of our carnivorous plants at Kent county show in flower marque , son is looking after girls

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 00:01:58 »
Oh bless her, 21 days untill hatching start to count from the day after you put them under her. Could be a day or so sooner with fresh eggs.
So she cannot snack on the fruit hee hee.
I leave my broodys to decide when to get off eggs to eat, drink and poo ( I know some lift them) but as long as they have food and water they are fine.
My girls went off layers pellets so lived on wild bird mixed seed they like that.
Either puff her with lice powder or get the parrot version for lice and mites in drop form its like frountline to see her through.
You can candle if you have a strong torch to see them develope and discard the ones that dont a rotten egg can spoil the whole lot.
Good luck with the show

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 22:54:21 »
thanks teresa, we got a gold at the show
Pauline

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 23:11:45 »
Oh Pauline congratulations a gold bet your well pleased.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 21:32:51 »
went to see girls today and she is ok still sitting but there was a egg missing sure that we put 9 eggs under her no sign of any broken shell
Pauline
 :)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 18:58:34 »
back from driffield show we do them every week got large gold and cup,back to my girls daisy has only 6 eggs left now have put covered frame round her run incause crow nicking eggs!
Pauline
 :(

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 23:12:47 »
Some hens can be heavy footed and accidently break the eggs. Which they will eat shell and all to tidy the nest up. Look for egg remains on the others left. lets hope some are left for hatching,

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal