Author Topic: Strawbs for OZZY  (Read 1909 times)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Strawbs for OZZY
« on: June 14, 2004, 11:05:04 »
Remember our previous discussions on my dustbins for Strawbs and then my promotion to a proper planter???????
Here is the first years results ....well almost .What do you think??

Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
Re:Strawbs for OZZY
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 13:11:33 »
Looks good ozzy.

ours are in a grow bag, cos we is limited on space we only went for 6 plants in one bag.

2 plants didn't do much and withered away but the other 4 are great they are sending runners out everywhere and I am not sure as what to do with them....any ideas.

My daughters are looking forward to picking there own strawbs, we noticed one plant has evenb got a flower on it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 13:16:03 »
Les - pinch the runners off until after the plant has finished fruiting. At the mo you want it to put it's energy into fruiting. After that, peg down the runners.
gone to pot :D

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 13:18:45 »
Gotcha ya, will do some pinching tonight!

Thanks Aqui

Les

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 13:24:09 »
Les it was me telling OZZ to grow his strawberries in an old Dustbin with round holes burned in the sides that started this last year.As we were both limited for space and that was the way i grew them.They did quite well.Then as i say i got a proper planter for a pressy so i'm posh now.If you are limited for space as i am the book which Dottie P recommended is excellent i got one.Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.I got it from Amozon.co.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 13:43:42 »
Thanks BB

I will look into it...

We were really only pushed for space this year as we are reasonably new to lotties and we just wanted to get an amount done this year so we could get some crops in.

I think next year we will have enough space for a good ol huge strawb patch.

I am going to pinch out the runners so we can get some fruit this year (as per aqui advise) but after that if I let the runners grow again do you think we would be able to get them to grow for next year or would it be best to start again next year.  It seems a waste to throw these plants away after this season, what do you do with strawb plants over winter? I have so much to learn still!!!

les

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 13:47:35 »
Les - at the start of last year I had 8 strawb plants. I lost two. After they'd finished fruiting, I pegged down about 25-30 runners. Most of which rooted. I'm getting a fairly decent crop this year!

They seem to crop best after the first year. Then I think you're supposed to throw them away after the third year. But you've constantly got a supply of new plants from pegging down runners.

In autumn, I cut the leaves off mine and left them where they were for the winter. they all survived (apart from one I trod on!)
gone to pot :D

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 13:54:50 »
Thanks aqui

Will I be able to peg the runners into pots or something cos as mentioned we have 4 healthy plants in a grow bag.

Not sure as what to do, will definatley be looking at getting a proper strawb patch together for next summer growth (digging this autumn).

Any ideas?

Les

Dunc_n_Tricia

• Quarter Acre
  • It's Cheaper Than Joining a Gym!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 16:08:13 »
My strawberry patch all came from runners from one plant of my Dad's. He put each of them in a pot and when they were large enough (ie had a few roots) he gave them to me.

Planted them in the ground about August - September. They are now covered in fruit. So long as you get your baby plants in by the autumn, they have winter to develop roots - and the following spring they "spring" into life  ;)

:-*Tricia

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 22:03:16 »
Yo BB & Peeps

Is good thread this..... I just looked at me strawberries and they seem to be doing their thang.... they iz maxim from T & M which only arrived in midish May.. when they sed dead clear like that I would have em in April... tsk tsk.... NAUGHTY.....NAUGHTY T & M Peeps.... SPANKY SPANKY.... actually aint getting nowt of em again cus when I phoned up to see where they wuz the first and second time... they sed they wuz on their ways when they were not... so they is in me baddie books they iz.... anyway they looks good and the flowers are like daisies.. and took me back to when i was dead young and made daisy chains and seen if anyone liked butter with the buttercups..... and me corgettes!!!! mahn they is getting well near to picking... really am excited about them I iz          .....

have lost me train of thought here now so besty hit post cus i dont really like babbling in edibles..... i iz more of shed and watershed type of peeperoonie I iz  so best hit post

Ozzy  :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 22:05:12 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal