Author Topic: Advice pls - noisy cat  (Read 2360 times)

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
Advice pls - noisy cat
« on: July 17, 2007, 23:03:05 »
Any advice on what to do with a 20yr old cat that won't stop yarking and crying every time he comes in the cat flap, walking round the house, and generally whenever he wants!  It's driving me mad.  I feed him, I fuss him, I call out to him (so he knows where we are), but he crys whenever he wants attention.  Helpppppp
 ??? ??? ???
Joolieeee
Joolieeee

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Advice pls - noisy cat
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:23:57 »
20 years old? Wow!! My friends cat made it to 18 and he was a grizzly old grunion. Could he be in pain? I would take him to the vet just to check him out. I can't believe you have a 20 year old cat - he must have had it easy!!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:54:28 »
Cats do suffer with a type of alzheimers, I don't think that there is anything that you can do, other than be there for him, I've read that they don't remember that they've just eaten, or just had a fuss etc. not sure whether there's anything a vet can do, but you can always ask

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 19:41:06 »
thanks both, not in pain, only me from the noise!!!  He's running up the garden as we speak, trying in vain to catch a pigeon which obivously heard him coming as soon as a paw came out the cat flap and took off.  Darren (the cat) could have got him if he really wanted to you know.....

I think the alzheimers is a good one - we thought that initially cos he just did it at night when he came in the cat flap, and so we thought maybe he didn't know where he was, or where we were.  I think because he got a repsonse, it's now turned in to an all day (and night) occurance.  He's obviously asking for something, though I don't think he knows what he wants half the time!!!

I'll post a piccie when Dan's cashed my cheque!!

Joolieeee
Joolieeee

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 22:58:11 »
He hasn't become deaf has he? One of ours became deaf as she got older and yowled much more.

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 17:56:22 »
Thx Tin Shed - he does seem to have selective deafness, won't shut up when I tell him, but can hear me opening the fridge from the conservatory!  I think I might take him for a general check up and see what the vet says

Thx all - Joolieeee
Joolieeee

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 18:03:21 »
Thx Tin Shed - he does seem to have selective deafness, won't shut up when I tell him, but can hear me opening the fridge from the conservatory! 

They do get more cattish as they get older don't they!! My friends cat was just the same.  ::) Hope his check up goes well.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 18:19:00 »
If it was alzheimers,he wouldn't remember where the cat flap was  ??? would he  ??? maybe even at his great age he is yearning for a girlfriend  ;D

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 13:24:26 »
He's definately yearning for something!  He yowled all the way up the stairs this morning, then round the bed, until he finally jumped on the bed and sat there still yowling until I sat up and fussed him.....he's so cheeky!
Joolieeee

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 20:40:07 »
Hey jooolie, it's like having another alarm clock isn't it?  ;D

Our cat paws at the covers if I don't get up on my alarm, it's like she's trying to wake me so i'm not late!!! Bless her  :-\

Do let us know how the check up goes, hope all's well x  :-*
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:29:17 »
hi joolieeee
our cat's become more chatty as she's got older, so maybe it's just a cat thing? she used to just buzz but now she miaows as well.
a friend's old cat, Herbie, was like a little old man, wandering about muttering a running commentary on life – v sweet, but I didn't have to live with it!!
it sounds like your mog's got you wrapped around his furry little paw and gets your undivided attention on demand!!! not stupid, are they ;D
as long as the vet says he's fit and well, I wouldn't worry too much, it's probably just one of those cat things :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal